Chapter Seventy-Eight

"Your memory feels like home to me

"Your memory feels like home to me. So whenever my mind wanders, it always finds its way back to you." - Ranata Suzuki

Alia's skin carries the memory of Valen's touch, his hands only managing to slide up her waist before being pulled away. His vexation was clear when he grabbed his long-sleeve and tugged it back on, but it wasn't aimed at her. Whilst he quickly re-buckled his belt, he told her that a blade was being used in a Cirion tavern and that he had to intervene before a life was taken.

She could only watch, skin yearning for his, as his hair turned black and his eyes turned white. Golden vines didn't slip out of his ears, and Alia wondered if the timing of his changing appearance was due to how much of, whatever those rays were, he absorbed. The only other time she'd seen him like this was when he was bound by the rays, but he didn't feel like Death did. There wasn't an aura of oncoming slaughter that thickened the air, there was only the warm caress of his normal presence. And it made her wonder if Valen was beneath Sephtis in strength, but then she realised that her mate had still yet to regain and become his true self.

Soon after, Valen was running out of their home with her scent still stuck to his skin. It made her cheeks warm, hands covering her smiling face as she realised that every wolf he runs past would be able to recognise that her scent was on his lips.

A small laugh leaves her when she thinks about whether his reaction would have differed if she was bare underneath him. Even if he remained half-clothed, her scent would have been all over him, marking his body with the touch of a woman in need. Either way, she would have insisted he leave for the tavern regardless of her desire, not particularly wishing to be the one responsible for him failing to uphold his duties.

But she knows Valen, and she wouldn't have had to insist in the first place. He would have left for the tavern just the same, but his threshold for mercy would have dropped considerably. If the wolves responsible weren't obedient when he arrived, then she can only imagine what would become of them.

Alia wouldn't go as far as saying he'd kill them, but he might break a few bones just for the fact that he was taken away from her. However, that's if she was naked, which she isn't. So, he'll probably just keep himself restrained and calm just like he usually does when fulfilling his role as a General.

 So, he'll probably just keep himself restrained and calm just like he usually does when fulfilling his role as a General