Chapter Eighty-One

"I would fight of course

"I would fight of course. Oh, I would fight. Better destroy everything than surrender her." - Vladimir Nabokov

Alia stills at the exposure of her involvement in Evropí's demise. She smiles nervously, eyes hesitating to meet her mate's.

Valen tilts his head, eyes growing heavy as he stares at her. Lowly, he asks, "When did you speak with Sephtis?"

Alia distractedly twirls Fenrir's fur around her finger, swallowing as she senses a primality to his voice. "The day you got bound by those golden rays," she quietly answers. "He appeared when I was reaching for a knife and I— after reading your journal I," she shakes her head, voice weakening. "I had to do something, Valen. I wanted them to suffer. I wanted them to burn," her eyes are filled with hatred, but her voice breaks when she says, "because they burned you."

She sniffs, attempting to regain control of her emotions. She crosses her arms and looks at the ceiling whilst her teeth clench painfully in an attempt to prevent her chin from trembling.

Silence blankets the living room, and it allows for Alia's mind to remember what she read in his journal, and how she barely managed to finish the first entry before refusing to read any more. She can feel the weight of Valen's eyes on her face, and it has her squeezing her eyes shut to try and prevent herself from thinking about his past any further. But it only aids in allowing her to visualise his burning body.

She sucks in a breath and sits up, eyes wide as her heart trembles. Fenrir whines, noticing the unravelling of her composure.

Valen takes a deep breath. "So you mean to tell me," he says, "that you spoke to a God you despise just so he could burn the Pack responsible for torturing me."

Sephtis' voice is dark, and it sends a haunting chill through Alia's spine. The essence of death fills the air, and the weight of it presses dreadfully against her chest just as he whispers to the General, "They burned you?"

Valen hums, but his eyes remain on Alia. "They did many things," he says, and it makes Sephtis' expression turn cold with fury. "Alia, you didn't answer my question."

Alia's breath wavers as she tries to fight through the feeling of death enveloping her. Her eyes water as she ultimately looks at Valen and sees his skin blackened and burned by flames. "Yes," she whispers, the sight stabbing straight through her heart.

Golden rays sprout from the wooden floor, snaking up Valen's legs and over the back of the couch. When they enter his ears, his hair turns white and his eyes burn a powerful gold.

Valen doesn't look at Sephtis when his presence overpowers the thick aura of demise and fills Alia's chest with a warmth that only he can bring. "Get out."

Sephtis barely manages to open his mouth before veins appear underneath Valen's eyes and he snarls, "Get the fuck out."

Sephtis' hands clench and unclench into fists, but he stands. "I'll be outside," he mutters. Fenrir swiftly follows the God as he exits the living room and walks out of the house.