Chapter Sixteen

"Life is nothing but a competition to be the criminal rather than the victim

"Life is nothing but a competition to be the criminal rather than the victim." - Bertrand Russell

She shakes her head and tries to calm her thoughts.

A beast.

Maybe that's what other people would call Valen. With blood coating his skin and his top stained by sin, it would not surprise her.

"I seem to have stained my shirt," he mutters, grabbing the bottom hem with his bloodied fingers.

Alia looks away from him and quickly notices the dead bodies that surround her. She suggests, "we can go to a lake if you'd like?"

Her eyes widen at the sight of a headless man a few metres behind her. Pieces of bone can be seen peeking out from the centre of the torn flesh. Next to him lies the other two men, one with a gaping, blood-filled hole in his chest and the other with his neck snapped like the first male killed.

Valen hums, seemingly satisfied with the idea.

She turns her head back around just as he voices a query, "have you killed before?"

This causes Alia's eyebrows to raise in surprise. Has Gamma Christian not informed him of her... predicament?

"Yes, I have," she says quietly.

She grows sheepish under his stare and begins to pick at her nails. As her eyes look to the ground, she notices that Valen begins to walk towards her.

With each step, his aura becomes more and more all-encompassing and she is unable to look down any further, complying to his silent demand.

A small gasp leaves her lips at their proximity. She looks up the towering male, who's neck and clothed chest lies inches away from her face. The top of her head reaches just below his jaw and his body shields her from any light, so all that she can see is him.

"Deserving or innocent?" His voice is dark and it has her swallowing in response.

The scent of blood begins to overwhelm her and she clenches her jaw, not moving her eyes from Valen's. She whispers, "I killed the Beta."

Her words break down a wall within her mind and Bertraim's threats come flooding back. Alia's bottom lip begins to tremble and tears begin to form in her eyes, blurring her vision.

Valen's eyes widen ever so slightly and he takes a small step back from the girl.

Alia covers her mouth with a shaky hand and tries to conceal an oncoming whimper. Tears fall freely down her face and she diverts her gaze to the trees.