Chapter Seventy-Two

"Easy as a child breathes a wish at a dandelion

"Easy as a child breathes a wish at a dandelion... is exactly how hard it would be for me to tear your limbs from their sockets." - Adam Levin

Alia sits on Valen's lap again. His warm hand is underneath her t-shirt, fingertips slowly tracing patterns on her waist. She leans her side against his chest, his other hand resting on one of her bare thighs. They sit on one of the benches on the main floor, the concrete segments of the maze now lowered into the ground.

It was a struggle, but they managed to calm their growing need for one another after Alia found herself on her back with Valen above her. His mouth continued to claim hers whilst his fingers reached for the waistband of her shorts. Her resulting, quiet moan was enough to make him tear himself off of her. The sound resembled a bucket of ice, drenching the pair and snapping them out of their lustful daze.

Alia wonders if she would have let Valen have her in the maze, his hand on her mouth as he stifles every one of her moans. But she knows him, and he would have never stripped her bare in the presence of thousands and thousands of wolves.

Cheek on his collarbone, Alia sighs as she takes in her mate's scent. The warmth of his presence resembles an everlasting caress, calming her under the eyes of curious spectators. They haven't stopped watching the pair ever since they left the maze, unintelligible conversations sounding throughout the training hall. She closes her eyes with one hand fiddling with the canines dangling from her neck.

Just when will this day end?

Christian speaks with the three finalists, voices quiet but still audible to Valen's ears. When Alia takes deeper breaths, she notices that Valen's grip tightens on her thigh before quickly relaxing. She looks up at the side of his face, his eyes glued to the four conversing wolves. "Are you sure you're okay?" she whispers, warm breath heating his neck.

His grip tightens.

'Yes,' he answers, fingertips sliding to her inner thigh. Alia almost reaches for his wrist, cheeks reddening at the thought of his hand moving closer to the warmth between her legs. But he stays where he is.

Alia hums and looks at Yaro's back. "What are they talking about?"

'They're being told about the duties of a General and what would happen if they fail to uphold them,' he answers. 'Gamma is giving them the chance to refuse the Title if they wish.'

"But there's three of them." Alia's brows furrow. "Who won?"

Christian turns and walks away from the three wolves, who follow close behind. He clears his throat when he reaches the centre of the main hall, which causes Alia to straighten, mind clearing. Two males and one female are the remaining three, broken bones and bloody bruises marring their bare limbs.