Chapter Three

"We all have a Monster within; the difference is in degree, not in kind

"We all have a Monster within; the difference is in degree, not in kind." - Douglas Preston

Year 2358.

Alia had left the infirmary, with Aeron by her side, hours earlier. They said their goodbyes to Dr Frida once Aeron was officially discharged and made their way out into the warm fields. She walked her friend home before heading home herself, wishing to unwind for a few hours.

It is currently midnight and Alia is in her bedroom preparing herself for the day to come. She thought she would feel less nervous, but the thought of killing another worries her. Will she begin to crave the blood of others - crave the power that came with permanently erasing someone off of the face of the earth?
She won't know until the deed is done and that scares her.

She takes a deep breath, halting her wringing hands as she tries to calm herself.

She'll be a murderer.

Yet, she will also become the saviour of the Lycanthrope Kingdom. Killing the King will destroy the tyranny that has poisoned her people ever since the Seventh King came to rule.

Sorras Derrik, the King who changed the way of the Lycanthrope Hierarchy in 1909 and made ranks become a birth right. Wolves who were not fit to rule, ruled and wolves who were too megalomanic to have power over others, gained power. This choice led to the dishonourable actions of many Gamma and Delta, who should have been executed for their crimes, but were not due to the following Kings' ignorant rulings. It is a birth right to them; it is their right to have control over the lesser wolves, and those who show their distaste for the new system will meet their end.

After the Seventh King's assassination in 1965, his son, Rylan Derrik, was crowned the new King of Lycanthropes as the Eighth King. The people of The Kingdom hoped that he would stray from his father's ways and bring back the age old hierarchy that stabilised their species but it turned to be worthless. He was just like his father and from then on the people knew that their world would never be the same.

Alia will be the one to end it. She will make things go back to the way they were supposed to be. Back to the way it all began in 1375 when the First King, Lycaon Fenrir, was chosen by the werewolves to act as their leader... their King.

Alia has always felt that the old ways is the true and only way of the wolves. She knows that if she doesn't do something to fix it, no one will.

Getting up from her bed, Alia heads to her en-suite and closes the door behind her. She pulls off her clothes and turns on the shower, turning the temperature knob to make the shower warmer. Steam slowly begins to fill the bathroom as she observes her naked body through the large, rectangular mirror above the sink. A few bruises are scattered here and there, but Alia continues to admire herself, admire all of the work she put in to having a strong, toned body. A powerful body that she can use to satisfy her needs to hurt the deserving.