Chapter Thirty-Five

"Because what's worse than knowing you want something, besides knowing you can never have it?" - James Patterson

One month later

Valen sighs and pinches the bridge of his nose. It makes Alia giggle, and he finds himself fighting back a smile. "He's insufferable, Alia." If he hears one more thing about the Seventh King, he'll crawl into Hell itself to punch the fool. "Can't we discuss the First King? You know he's the only one I tolerate."

The pair are in the tavern, sitting in their usual seats at their usual table. It's as busy as always, the room filled with laughter and noisy chatter. It's grown to be one of Alia's favourite places.

Smiling, Alia rests her chin on her palm. "Of course we can." She taps her fingertips against her cheek in thought. "I don't think we've talked about his death yet. Would that interest you?"

Valen nods and crosses his arms, eyes focusing on the female. She looks back at him, at his piercing eyes, and she finds herself releasing a slow, deep breath. Beautiful. "What do you know?" She asks, eyes not leaving his own. Even as he shrugs, her attention doesn't move to his strong shoulders. It's like she's swimming into a white abyss, enveloped by the heat his irises bring. She doesn't want to look away.

"I know nothing."

Alia lifts her head and sits up straighter in her seat. Focus, Alia. "Any guesses?"

Pausing, Valen looks to the side to contemplate the question. "I would assume he was killed, considering the rules of obtaining the throne at the time. But that would mean the Second King killed him." He looks at her. "Was he not the Beta?"

She nods and grabs a piece of plain paper from her bag. "He was."

Valen's brows furrow and his eyes narrow. "So his Beta killed him?"

"Not quite," she answers. "Officially, the cause of his death is unknown. Some people say he died of old age, others say he was killed by a rebel group."

Valen raises an eyebrow, unimpressed. "A rebel group?"

"I know it sounds unreasonable. But I believe it." She turns her attention to the piece of paper and pulls out a pen from her pocket.

Valen's mind drifts back to the Second King. After the First King's death, the Beta must have been the strongest living wolf, so it would have been reasonable to give him the Title. After all, only the strong can protect the weak, and the King must protect his kingdom.

Valen's attention snaps back to the piece of paper, instantly recognising the circular design Alia draws.

Alia slides the piece of paper over to him. "I tried looking into them a few days ago, but this was all I could find." Valen takes it into his hands. "Apparently it's their symbol."