Chapter Nine

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all." - Helen Keller

Waking up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat has unfortunately been a recurring event for the two days after that happened.

Listening to her Gamma's advice, Alia has been staying inside and trying to regain her strength by doing as little strenuous movements as possible. Her body needs to heal from the mental and physical strain she went through and, at present, she is feeling better by the minute.

During the third night, her recollections of what she saw through that man's eyes were no more and as a result, Alia managed to sleep in until roughly two in the afternoon. Catching up on lost sleep pushed forward her healing notably.

Cooking for herself is something she has been doing for most of her adult life. Darian has a significantly different diet than Alia as he would usually eat large portions of different meats for his main meals whereas she liked to try out a variety of cuisines. Granted, they did not always turn out great, but she did end up finding out about the joy that is pasta. Although, she would still treat herself to a thick, juicy steak every once in a while for not even she can resist her primal desires.

Last night was her fourth night and she is glad that it also went by soundlessly. Every time she did go through the incident, pain would never come. It was like she was more of a spectator and it felt very intrusive, like she shouldn't be able to see such things.

Her time alone has allowed her to surmise two theories.

Either, someone poisoned her, how she still hasn't figured out, but it could explain the burning pain she felt. A hallucinogen must have also been included as she definitely couldn't have imagined that scenario on her own. The only problem with this is that for almost twenty-four hours, Alia was alone, and the only way it could be plausible is for the poison to have been a slow-acting agent.

Or, in one way or another, she found herself inside the memory of that man. Alia is very unsure of this idea as she's never heard of such a thing happening before. Not in any of the many history books she's read and definitely not in any of her scholarly readings. But, she kind of wishes that this is what happened because she's not quite ready to accept the notion that someone is out to get her. That they would go so far as to use poison to immobilise her long enough to do whatever they wanted. This only makes her more grateful that Liam found her when he did.

After Gamma Christian's statement, Alia has decided not to bring up the situation to him again. It clearly shook something within him, which is worrisome as he is a powerful man, plus her Gamma, so nothing should be above him other than the Beta and Alpha. One of which is dead and the other an imbecile, so what else could possibly make him act that way?

Alia rubs her temples with her fingers, eyes closed tight as she tries to reel in her emotions. She can't afford getting stressed now, not when she has almost fully healed.