Chapter Fifty

"The whole world can become the enemy when you lose what you love

"The whole world can become the enemy when you lose what you love." - Kristina McMorris

Year unknown

The afternoon sun beams down onto bare skin, warming a muscular torso as a man lies in a field of vibrant flowers. Blades of grass brush against his scarless body, white linen trousers covering his strong legs. An arm rests underneath his head, eyes closed as he basks in the daylight. A gentle calm flows through the forest, the open field a window into the life of a man in peace.

Wolves chatter miles away, strolling past golden walls surrounded by green gardens. Exceptionally tall, arched doors decorated with intricate markings are held open, revealing the illustrious abode of a man chosen to rule. Another man stands beside a powerful, golden throne, hands behind his back as his eyes search through an eager sea of people for its occupant.

The light behind the man's eyelids disappears, obscured by a presence he knows all too well. He opens his eyes, feigning displeasure whilst amusement shines within his gaze.

Bandaged eyes look down at him, a child-like grin adorning the man's golden face. The bottom of his black wings displace the flowers beside the reclining man, who chooses to close his eyes again.

"What do you want, Sephtis?"

The God sits next to the male, wings retracted. His expression falls at the tone of the other's voice. "Can't I visit you?"

A corner of the man's lips quirks up, visualising Sephtis' pout. "You know it is forbidden."

"I am aware of the rules."

"And yet, here you are."

Sephtis stays quiet.

Eyes opening, the man looks at Sephtis' profile, noting that his legs are bent with his arms loosely around his knees. A hand wraps around the other arm's wrist, holding his torso upright as his head remains looking forward. The blatant frown on his face causes the man to chuckle, the disapproving facade disappearing. "Oh, come on Sephtis," the male teases, gaze endearing. "You know I only jest."

Sephtis remains looking forward. The atmosphere turns sombre, revealing the buried emotions of the seated male. It causes alarm to run through the other male, who almost reaches for the God, but Sephtis' next words keep him in place. "I don't know why you enjoy this place," he says, pain evident in his words. "I don't know why you spend your time with these mortals when Velora waits for you."

The man frowns, chest tightening. "They are good to me."

Sephtis' head snaps over to the male. "We are good to you." His chin quivers, nostrils flared as he holds back his distress. "I am good to you. You know this."

The man doesn't respond, noting Sephtis' vulnerability. Instead, he sits up and mirrors the God, staring up at the clear sky with a line between his brows.