Chapter Twenty-Six

"Few men are born brave

"Few men are born brave. Many become so through training and force of discipline." - Publius Vegetius Renatus

Excited shouts of his name and temporary Title are heard from all directions, for the Warriors try desperately to make conversation with Valen. Beaming smiles grace their faces as they watch him enter the building, with his towering frame making him stand out from the crowd like a diamond surrounded by coal.

Face stoic and eyebrows slightly furrowed in disapproval, Valen stops before them and crosses his strong arms. His eyes narrow marginally as he looks down his nose at the Warriors. A muscle in his jaw twitches; the pressure of his bite increasing the more he analyses the scene in front of him.

Their smiles drop. The area becomes so quiet that one could hear the drop of a mere pin.

What were they thinking?

A newfound tension invades the entrance like a tsunami: quick and destructively overbearing. The merciless silence is broken only by a lowly-voiced question.

"Why aren't you training?" Valen tilts his head, watching as guilty eyes look to the floor in shame. How disappointing.

Remaining firm, Valen continues. "Get out of my sight before I lose my patience."

Now that he's back to being a General, albeit a temporary one, Valen won't be merciful to the Warriors when they don't meet his expectations. Especially when it involves the Pack's safety.

The Warriors of Rosía are strong - far stronger than the average Pack member, so they are able to withstand his presence to a higher degree. However, at this moment, Valen has restrained his dominance completely. It isn't something he likes to do, but considering the circumstances, it would have been... impractical.

Walking inside without seeing any necks bared was odd, to say the least.

A few watery eyes catch his attention. Valen often forgets about his effects on people's emotions. They admire him, want to please him, and he doesn't know why.

Why should they care about the opinions of another? Why have they allowed their mental state to become so vulnerable, so... weak?

A muscle in his hand twitches.

Weak Warriors have no place in battle, nor will they receive any sympathy from him. The Pack is his responsibility to protect, but once its members become Warriors, they have a duty to remain strong. If they fail, Valen will punish them for risking the other's safety. Severely.