Chapter Seventy-Seven

"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it

"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear." - Nelson Mandela

Rosía

Moving through the forest towards the mainland, Valen, Sephtis and Fenrir use the coverage of the trees to conceal their unnatural grouping. Valen walks ahead of the God and the wolf, disinterested in the seething hiss behind him as he spots his home through the trees.

Sephtis snarls and whirls towards Fenrir who, for the past five minutes, has been nudging the God's spine with his nose in an effort to have a game of chase. His finger hooks into his blindfold, covered eyes blazing. "I will incinerate you, you insufferable child!"

Valen turns his head, an amused smile finding his face when Fenrir appears at his side. The wolf sends a disgruntled look towards the God behind him, but relaxes when Valen's hand caresses the fur at the top of his head.

Sephtis appears at Valen's other side, a scowl plastered across his face. "For eight centuries that wolf has ignored me, and now he wishes to play?" He looks past the white-eyed male and sends a harsh glare the wolf's way. "I found Lycaon. Not you. And for that, I will ignore you for eight millennia, you audacious piece of—"

"Sephtis," Valen warns.

The God's nostrils flare, furious, but he stays quiet. He looks forward, hands flexing at his sides as the bottom of his wings brush over the forest floor. Withered leaves alight into flame and disintegrate into ash, highlighting his path towards the mainland.

"Fenrir is easily manipulated," Valen says, attempting to sate the God's anger. "He trusts blindly and doesn't have the ability to sense lies. When I took him from Gule, I made him promise me that if he ever stopped feeling my presence, he would make himself unreachable to any soul. Especially the Gods." He glances at the wolf, whose ears twitch at every sound. "Fenrir is powerless in the sense that he has no abilities other than his changing size. But he is the only being who can kill a God through physical force. If he ever manages to snap his jaws around you, you will be killed regardless of being immortal. So you can understand why I had to ensure that he would never be wielded by anyone other than me." He looks at Sephtis, who silently stares at the ground as they walk. "He didn't respond to you because he has devoted himself to me, and only me. So do not blame him for his loyalty, because he would be the end of Velora if he ever lived without it."

Sephtis' wings stop leaving a trail of ash. His expression resembles that of dejection, troubled by the reality of his fruitless efforts. "...So I begged for nothing."