Chapter Forty

"Nothing brings on jealousy like laughter

"Nothing brings on jealousy like laughter." - Françoise Sagan

Yaro's inked hand gently caresses Alia's cheek, fingers snaking into her silky brown hair. Alia's breath wavers when he leans closer, eyes on her lips as a heaviness fills his gaze. She can feel his warm breath on her skin, and she finds herself inching closer.

The corner of Yaro's lips quirks up, amused at the desire within her jade irises. The sounds of the training room dissolve into silence, as if he and Alia are the only ones in the room.

Alia's eyes flutter closed when Yaro's lips brush against her own. But he pulls back slightly, before she can truly taste him. Feel him. Her eyes open slightly as he whispers, "no feelings, remember?"

Nodding slowly, distractedly, Alia doesn't move her half-lidded gaze away from his lips. Her voice is as low as his when she whispers, "just kiss me already."

When a cold sensation grazes the side of his face exposed to the training hall, one thought races through Yaro's mind: I'm going to regret this. Yet he closes the distance between them, lips meeting Alia's with a level of intimacy that has her breath escaping.

As his lips move against her own, Alia finds herself sinking deeper and deeper, the need to cling to Yaro growing with every passing second. Her chest trembles at the desire that runs through her skin, but then a familiar warmth travels along her face for a brief, almost unnoticeable moment.

Alia opens her eyes when Yaro pulls away with a dazed expression that likely matches her own. Then he places his hands on his face, a small groan escaping his moist lips. "Shit," he mumbles. "I think I might want you."

Stunned, Alia stares at him. The only thing on her mind was the kiss they shared. Her second kiss. Then she realises the training room is quiet. Unnaturally quiet. But Yaro's words finally have meaning in her mind, and then her head is thrown back as she bursts into laughter.

Yaro covers his mouth with his hands in an attempt to muffle his own laughter, which makes Alia laugh even more.

"Enough," Liam hisses.

The pair freeze, noticing the tension that surrounds them. With furrowed brows, Alia turns to look at Liam.

But white eyes meet her own.

Standing barely a metre away, Valen stares down at the two wolves with his hands behind his back. He's dressed in all black, covered in the uniform of his Title. His expression is blank, unreadable, when his eyes scan the seated frame of the Warrior beside Alia.

Alia stands and Valen's eyes snap back to hers. A twinkle of darkness appears within them, but before she can stop herself, Alia smiles at him. It's become a habit, a greeting in a way. But her heart shakes with anxiety.