Chapter Forty-One

"You care so much you feel as though you will bleed to death with the pain of it

"You care so much you feel as though you will bleed to death with the pain of it." - J K Rowling

Alia runs into the forest after Gamma's urgent request for her presence. It's the first time she's heard him through mind link, and if she didn't have to focus on trying to trace his scent, she would have basked in the knowledge of gaining his trust for a while.

Yaro left the training centre an hour ago for Warrior training at GHQ, and the building is something she's excited about seeing in the future. From what he's told her, it seems to be filled with facilities aimed at making wolves stronger and more lethal. It makes her want to become a Warrior so badly. She just wants to feel the weight of a blade in her hand again, reminiscing on the training sessions she'd have with her uncle back in Vasileís.

Normally Warrior training sessions are with Valen, but Yaro went on to tell Alia that the General had the day off, and he wouldn't say why when she asked him about it. Could it be why Valen acted the way that he did? Did something happen earlier?

She manoeuvres past enough trees to find herself bursting into a small clearing. Alia's breaths are supposed to be level and controlled, having sprinted many distances on many occasions, but it quickens regardless. Not out of fatigue, Alia notes, but because Valen stands next to their Gamma in a form-fitting, grey athletic shirt and his usual black combat trousers. A drizzle of rain sprinkles through the canopy above them, dampening his shirt to a point where his muscular abdomen is defined, and black strands of his hair stick to his forehead.

Christian has his arms crossed, eyes finding hers. He quickly motions her over, stress covering his features whilst Valen refuses to look in her direction.

"What is it?" Alia questions, slightly breathless. "What's wrong?"

The Gamma shakes his head. "What I tell you is something you must never repeat." His brows are raised, anticipating her obedience as he tries to emphasise the weight of his words. "This request would have gone to a Warrior or one of my Generals if circumstances were different. But you're the only woman Valen can tolerate, so it'll have to be you."

A prickle of hurt sticks into her chest, but she has to remind herself of her Untitled status. She carries no privilege when it comes to her Gamma's decisions, and her authority is as bleak as the rest of the Untitled non-Warrior wolves in Rosía.

You're the only woman Valen can tolerate.

Alia briefly glances at Valen, who remains staring blankly at their Gamma. It's been two hours since they last saw each other, and Alia doesn't like the tension she can feel between them. It's like a thick, volatile force in the air, drawing her closer just as it pushes her away.

Why is she the only one? Is it because he considers her a friend? After the office, it doesn't seem so. Acquaintances would be more suitable in their case.