Chapter Forty-Eight

"Vengeance is a monster of appetite, forever bloodthirsty and never filled

"Vengeance is a monster of appetite, forever bloodthirsty and never filled." - Richelle E. Goodrich

A dangerous glimmer flickers within Valen's eyes.

Death?

The sky fills with dark, thunderous clouds, the quiet night turning tumultuous. Wind begins to rush past their bodies, the warm air failing to ease Valen's glacial glare. He flexes his clawed fingers as he processes the male's words.

After all of these years, this... this is how they meet? This is how Valen finds himself face-to-face with one of them? The beings who ignored every one of his calls? The beings who left him in that cell to rot in isolated darkness? The beings who watched him suffer until his mind was in pieces?

"Most kneel under a taste of my power," Death slowly observes. "But you," his eyes narrow, "you are different."

Valen turns his head, eyes finding the God who he wished would have taken his soul years ago.

Taken aback, Death goes still. For a moment, he looks stunned, but then his expression morphs into one of insult and rage. "Your eyes," he seethes. "Who gave you your eyes?"

The air around them turns volatile, wind violent as it chips away at the surrounding trees. Thunder claps from above, clouds bursting to release a heavy onslaught of rain. A bolt of lightning strikes the ground nearby, the sound powerful and booming. Soil crumbles, trees scorched by the powerful heat the bolt brings.

Valen tilts his head, eyes stinging so powerfully they feel like they're on fire. "You harm my mate, and now you choose to speak on my eyes?" His nostrils flare, anger building. "Tell me, is the white not to your liking?"

As the rain soaks his half-clothed body, Death's voice turns unnatural and the sound echoes through Valen's mind. "I said," deep cracks begin to form in the ground, spreading through the forest like lines of electricity. Death's power surges through Valen and it shoves him onto his knees. His breath is knocked out of him, muscles straining under the force bearing down on his body. His teeth are clenched so tight they might shatter underneath his resistance — his resistance to submission. A growl builds inside of him, insulted by Death's invasiveness. How dare he?

"Who," the cracks in the ground split open, causing red rays of scalding light to burst through and illuminate the dark forest. Against Death's golden skin, the light creates a blazing appearance that makes Valen's growl falter. Bone-chilling screams blast through the open cracks, filling the forest with sounds of unfiltered horror. It pierces through the air, and Valen can't help but flinch as it deafens his other senses. The pungent odour of burning flesh and blood fills the forest, causing plants to shrivel and turn to dust just at the scent of it.