PROLOGUE I

Word Count: 2979

It was dark. Not the past twilight beautiful dark. It was wild, haunted even. There was a man, who wore all black from head to toe, and let out a gut wrenching emotionally distraught cry, as he slumped down in a chair. He was Severus Snape. Vulnerable and in pain, as he cried for the person he loved. She was dead, gone. He couldn't get the image of her motionless body on the ground out of his mind. All the memories started flashing through his mind like an image sequence. The moment he had first met her, to the point where he had begged his master to spare her, he remembered everything.

Severus Snape looked up to see the other man stood behind the table, looking at him grimly.

"I thought . . . you were going . . . to keep her . . . safe . . ." Severus Snape couldn't recognise his own voice that came out like a wounded animal.

"Lily and James put their faith in the wrong person," said the man. Severus Snape couldn't understand what was going through the man's head. "Rather like you Severus. Weren't you hoping that Lord Voldemort would spare her?" Severus Snape felt his heart wrench in pain. The man had touched the paining nerve, and he couldn't believe that he had put faith in someone like Lord Voldemort, or all his followers called him, the Dark Lord.

"Her boy survives." The man informed. Severus Snape looked up at him with unfathomable expressions. "Her son lives. He had her eyes, precisely her eyes. You remember the shape and colour of Lily Evans's eyes, I am sure?"

"DON'T!" Severus Snape seethed, although he could imagine how beautiful her eyes were. "Gone . . . . Dead . . . ."

"Is that remorse, Severus?"

"I wish . . . . . I wish I were dead"

"And what use would that be to anyone?" asked the man coldly. "If you loved Lily Evans, if you truly loved her, then your way forward is clear." Severus Snape sat motionless, as it seemed to take a long time for the man's words to reach him.

"What – What do you mean?"

"You know how she died. Make sure it would not go in vain. Help me protect Lily's son."

"He doesn't need protection. The Dark Lord had gone –"

"– the Dark Lord will return, and Harry Potter will be in terrible danger." Severus Snape observed the man and silence fell over. He was thinking, as he also tried to gain control of himself. Taking a deep breath he said.

"Very well. Very well. But never – never tell, Dumbledore! This must be between us! Swear it! I cannot bear . . . especially Potter's son . . . I want your word!" Severus shouted.

"My word, Severus, that I shall never reveal the best of you." The man sighed, looking down into Severus Snape's ferocious, anguished face. Severus Snape could tell he had something more to speak of, but looked hesitant, almost unsure.

"What is it?" he asked standing up, and the man's eyes followed his action.

"There is a girl." The man spoke again. Severus Snape unsure of why the man was telling him that, just stared at him. "Voldemort knows nothing about her." The man looked as though he was contemplating some situation, but still uncertain of his own words. "I wish for you to take her in." Severus Snape's eyes widened. Him raising a child? The man had to be either joking, or barking mad to ask for such a favour from him.

"Dumbledore –" started Severus Snape.

"Before you say no Severus –" the man cut in, "– this girl, I want you to take her in, and raise her. Yes, I could have asked someone else, or sent her to an orphanage, but I want you to train her."