CHAPTER 8: INFORMATION HUNT

Word Count: 4048

Charlotte had never read anything about the Chamber of Secrets apart from what was given in the Hogwarts: A History, which she thought was completely useless. Hermione didn't think so.

Charlotte sat with Ron and Harry completing her homework. Even though she had gotten away by sometimes not giving in for Potions, Charms and Herbology, History of Magic and Transfiguration were a hard pass.

The only thing she was thankful for was the quill was doing her job.

"Well, at least bloody tell us how to charm them" said Ron in an irritated voice, staring at the History of Magic essay which was still eight inches short.

"It doesn't write by itself Ron." She replied with a sigh "I do the research beforehand, and the quill just writes my draft of my messy and scribbled essays in much better handwriting.

"I still can't believe Hermione's done forty-seven inches; her handwriting is tiny."

"Where is she anyway?" asked Harry.

"Somewhere over there" said Ron pointing towards the shelves. "Looking for another book, I think she's trying to read the whole library before Christmas"

Charlotte didn't look up as they talked. Her head was buried in 'The Ancient Histories' which was based on the history of when the school was built. Of course the book was written in much more detail which she had nicked from the restricted section. Dumbledore's permission slip was still working for her.

"All the copies of Hogwarts: A History, have been taken out" said Hermione settling on her right.

"And there's a two-week waiting list. I wish I hadn't left my copy at home, but I couldn't fit it in my trunk with all the Lockhart books."

"Why do you want it?" asked Harry.

"The same reason everyone else wants it," said Hermione, "to read up on the legend of the Chamber of Secrets."

"What's that?" said Harry quickly.

"That's just it. I can't remember,"

Throughout the History of Magic, it might have been the first time in the history of Hogwarts, that students were actually listening to the Professor. He told the great legend of the Chamber, but nothing Charlotte didn't already know.

"The whole thing is arrant nonsense, of course," he said in the end. "Naturally, the school has been searched for evidence of such a chamber, many times, by the most learned witches and wizards. It does not exist. A tale told to frighten the gullible."

The class ended frightened with monster inside, and sure that Slytherin was just some old fool who had nothing to do beside trouble people.

She walked out the class with the trio as they talked. The boys were ahead, and she walked with Hermione who seemed to be in deep thoughts.

"I always knew Salazar Slytherin was a twisted old loony," said Ron "But I never knew he started all this pure-blood stuff. I wouldn't be in his House if you paid me. Honestly, if the Sorting Hat had tried to put me in Slytherin, I would have got the train straight back home. . . ."

Hermione gave the red-haired boy a nod in agreement, but Harry looked tensed. His hand in a fist, meaning he was either ready to punch someone or hiding something. The second one seemed appropriate. Charlotte didn't comment. As far as she knew, the house prejudice went both ways.

"You don't think so, do you?" asked Harry, looking at her. She saw there was a small hope behind his green eyes, and she shook her head.

"Nah, I think Slytherins are quite alright."