CHAPTER 6: CERBERUS

Word count: 3054

Charlotte read Little Women + Good Wives in those two days. She couldn't have been more thankful for the silencing charm, constant coffee and snacks. The book made her feel multiple emotions at the same time, and she cried half the time. She slept a little in the afternoon on Saturday, and stayed up all night, sleeping in the morning on Sunday. She could constantly feel Draco's eyes on her as she sniffed and looked down so no one would see.

Read-a-thon came to an end before dinner on Sunday. There were bags under most of their eyes, and looked like ghosts. Few had blood shot eyes, and flowing noses with tear tracks, as if they had been crying their eyes out, and some had smiled. Charlotte was in the first category.

"So, how was it?" Penelope asked who herself was smiling, and Charlotte saw a romance book in her hand. Many nodded and Charlotte sniffed and cracked a smile.

"Better than expected." Hermione answered. "Do you do this every year?" Jason nodded, and answered, his voice a little hoarse from all the crying.

"Yes, has been Ravenclaw tradition for centuries. There always is a read-a-thon; it's for welcoming our first years. We also conduct a fair number of other inter-house activities throughout the year, apart from the Ravenclaw activities. Notices of those will be announced to you when they are arranged."

A lot, of almost seventy to eight students entered the great hall for first time in two days. They had been eating at the Ravenclaw tower itself, as Charlotte had walked to the kitchen telling the house elves to send meals at the tower.

"Welcome back from hibernation." Dumbledore said and the lot mumbled something. Charlotte saw that none of the teachers looked panic or were asking questions about their absence and then remembered that this had been happening for centuries. Flitwick himself would have been part of it.

Settling at the Ravenclaw table, they started eating food in silence, at least Ravenclaw table did. She noticed people asking questions to students of other houses, and looking extremely pissed off. She wasn't going to blame them for being pissed, she would be too.

----------*----------

The next week went as fast as the first one, and it was Thursday and there was a flying lesson.

As usual she found herself in the wave of Gryffindors and Slytherins. Charlotte stood between Harry and Ron, who were excited which only made her more nervous. The only other people she thought were nervous were Neville and Hermione. Slytherins were standing opposite to them, ready to start the class.

"Stick out your right hand over your broom." instructed Madam Hooch at the front. "– and say 'Up!'"

"Up" everyone shouted. On Charlotte's right, Harry's broom jumped in his hand instantly, apart from Draco and the unknown Slytherin from read-a-thon. Charlotte's broom didn't even more; neither did she expect it to. Madam Hooch had once told her that you need to feel it, and Charlotte said 'Up' once more, and after almost six-seven times it was in her hand.

Madam Hooch showed them how to mount the broom, and Charlotte's anxiety kicked in. She had no idea how Dumbledore had talked her into attending the class, but he had, and she was currently cussing him in her head.

"Now, when I blow my whistle, you kick off from the ground hard," said Madam Hooch. "Keep your brooms steady, rise a few feet, and then come straight back down by leaning slightly forward. On my whistle – three – two –" but before she could blow the whistle Neville kicked off hard as he was a little jumpy.

Charlotte didn't know what happened next. It was mayhem, a lot of shouting, banging on things and Neville landing on the ground hard. All she knew that it ended in Neville breaking his wrist.