CHAPTER 3: ANCIENT AND NOBLE

Word Count: 3984

TW: Mention of misogynistic behaviour, rape culture and broken families.

Charlotte woke up next morning tired.

She spent the night, mentally going through everything she had to get done. Nursing Sirius back to health, writing to Tonks' and McGonagall, talking to the Slytherins about not officiating the alliance yet. She also had a brief thought about talking to Harry about the whole situation before he got to know about Black from someone else.

Before all that, she had a meeting in the morning, with one Lady Malfoy. It was not going to in her best interest, she knew that much.

Pulling out a dark bottle green, pleated skirt that reached her ankle, she matched it with a satin black blouse. It was simple, neat, and elegant. If this was going to be some sort of bargain about the topic she didn't even know, then she wanted a fair chance in doing so. Appearance played a very important role.

She added a designer green silver cape, a pair of black pumps which gave her a little height, and her mother's earring to complete the look. She wished to remove the ring that sat on her right hand, but if she did, there was a chance the house would kick Sirius out.

Walking down, she entered the kitchen. Snape sat sipping on his coffee as he read the Prophet. Second day of Sirius Black being in headlines.

"You look sharp" commented the man looking at her. She nodded with a small smile.

"Yeah, the meeting, remember?"

"Narcissa?" Charlotte nodded and Snape stood up. "Be careful" he instructed. Her eyes narrowed at him, as he tried to ruffle her hair that was neatly pinned into a low bun. Slapping his hand away she scowled at him.

"Don't dad. I don't want to be late"

"Sorry." Picking up his empty mug, he set it in the sink "Where are you meeting?"

"Leaky Cauldron entrance" She replied with a gulp. "I don't know what she wants."

"Probably answers"

"To what?" she snapped irritated. Snape rolled his eyes and walked out of the kitchen; Charlotte followed.

"I don't know. What did you do this time?" he teased and she walked towards the fireplace.

"Nothing" she snapped.

"What's going on? You look tired, and irritated" he questioned, and Charlotte gave him a nod.

"Yeah, didn't get enough sleep. Anyway, I added a few details to the potion when you went to sleep early last night," he raised an eyebrow, as she continued "It's in your study. I think a few more things, and the potion might be alright for testing."

"I'll take a look" Snape replied with a nod. "Just keep your calm and not get all snappy and irritated. You'll be fine otherwise."

Walking out of Leaky Cauldron she waited for the women. There was no need to be nervous, she knew. But something about the letter didn't settle with her. There was going to be a bargain, maybe a little bribery, but that should be it. What bothered her was the part of not telling Draco.

"Shall we?" asked the voice and Narcissa Malfoy stood there with a questioning look. Charlotte hadn't noticed the women arrive, but she stood there tall and well dressed as usual.

"Of course,"

There was silence as they walked and Narcissa Malfoy led them into Knockturn Alley. The dark and narrow passage was smelly, but the women kept her chin up and made no eye contact with anyone. Charlotte followed the suit.