━━━━ viii

"SO HOW WAS your date last night?" derek morgan asked her

"SO HOW WAS your date last night?" derek morgan asked her. they were on the jet heading to alaska for a new case, and derek morgan was sitting across from her. the plane ride was going to be almost 6 hours long- and they had already spent 4 of those hours profiling.

"oh, um-" leah sighed.

that was all she had to say. "i'm sorry to hear that," derek told her. leah couldn't see, but spencer looked over to the two after hearing their conversation and smiled a bit to himself.

"no, it was a great date, really. and oliver's a great guy. he's just- i guess i'm not ready for someone else right now," leah said.

"'someone else?'" spencer reid put the piece of paper in his hands down.

leah looked over at him in confusion, she herself had not realized she had said those words. when she recalled what she said her eyes widened. "i-i meant 'someone' - not 'someone else.' yeah, i'm not ready for someone right now is what i meant."

leah turned to look back at derek, who was smirking at her. leah just gave him a look that screamed "shut up."

𖥸

𖥸

"this place is pretty packed," hotch started, walking over to the team. they had just arrived at the hotel. "we're going to need to double up tonight."

"i am not sleeping with reid," derek said, pointing to the doctor. spencer looked at him with a confused, and a bit of a saddened look.

emily, jj and leah laughed as the rest of the team gave morgan an amused smile.

"don't worry doctor," leah stood up and walked over to spencer, sitting next to him. "i'll room with you tonight."

spencer gave her a nervous look, and smiled at her.

"dibs," garcia said, reaching her hand up to touch derek's arm.

𖥸

𖥸

"remind me to never come to alaska again," leah shivered as she walked out of the bathroom wearing pajamas - which were a tshirt and sweatpants.

"why didn't you pack for a warmer trip?" spencer asked her.

"well, i washed my clothes last week and forgot to pack winter clothes. if i would've known we would come here to alaska, i would've made sure to have packed warmer. but now, i'm just freezing."

"i-uh," spencer stuttered. "if you want, you c-can take the extra sweatshirt in my bag."

"really?"

spencer smiled and nodded at the girl, and she quickly ran over to his bag and pulled out the sweatshirt. it was light gray doctor who themed hooded sweatshirt, with the words "gallifrey: school of regeneration, est. 1963" written on it. she looked at it, laughing a bit to herself since she thought it was adorable how nerdy spencer was. she then slipped the sweatshirt on, and put the hood up. it was big on her, it was very oversized and the sleeves reached far past her hands.

"oh my god," leah smiled. "this is so soft. i want this sweatshirt for my birthday, spencer."

"okay," spencer laughed. "i'll buy you one for your birthday."

"no, i want this one."

spencer gave her a confused look. "why do you want my old sweatshirt when i could just by you a new one?"

leah laid down on her bed and curled up in a ball, locking eyes with spencer who watched her lay down.

"i don't know. it smells like you."

spencer was at a loss for words. he really didn't know what to say.

"o-oh?" he stuttered.

leah sat up in her bed and laughed a bit. "yeah! you know, vanilla ice cream with some type of mahogany wood cologne? it's also definitely your shampoo that smells like vanilla ice cream, and it smells so good. the best decision you made while i was away was getting new shampoo."

"you could tell i switched shampoos?"

"well, duh. you used to have this coconut shampoo, which also smelled really good, but the vanilla and the mahogany just fit so well together." leah sighed, shivering a bit since she was still cold.

spencer smiled nervously, looking down. "you're still cold?"

leah nodded, looking up at him.

spencer moved over on his bed, and avoided eye contact with the girl. "you can come lay with me if you want?"

leah's breath hitched for a moment, but she got up and sat down on spencer's bed, sitting all the way on the edge.

"you- you can move closer, leah. i'm not gonna hurt you," spencer laughed.

leah smiled, laughing to herself, and she moved under his blankets right next to him, not saying anything.

they sat in silence, not moving for a bit as spencer read his book. leah slowly brought her arms up to wrap her arms around him, cuddling into him for warmth.

as she did so, spencer's heart started racing, and he decided to put his book down on his lap, wrap his arm around her and start playing with her hair.

leah sighed, she felt so relaxed, and finally warm in one of the coldest states in the united states.

"noelle reid," she said after a few minutes, starting to feel herself drift off.

"what?" spencer waited a moment before questioning the two words she had said.

"noelle reid. that was the name i took when i went to england. i took your last name, spencer."

spencer smiled to himself, his breath hitching once more since he was nervous. "w-why?"

"i don't know," she yawned, closing her eyes as she started falling asleep. "i liked it, i guess."

spencer sat in silence, taking in the words she had said. and the next few words to come out of his mouth were words he's been replaying in his mind since before the incident, since before she died.

"i think i'm in love with you," he whispered.

the girl didn't respond, she only took a few heavy breaths. it was then spencer realized she had already fallen asleep.

had she heard what he said? or did she fall asleep before she could hear?

spencer's breath hitched. if she hadn't heard what he had said, he would be relieved. he had lost control of his words, he hadn't intended them to come out.

but they were true nonetheless.