━━━━ xxiii

LEAH KNOCKED ON the front door to greg campbell's house

moments later, the door opened, except the person who answered wasn't greg campbell.

"oh, uh, hi, mr. porter," leah started. "what are you doing here?"

"i'm fixing greg's computer. i'm quite the technician."

"is mr. campbell home?"

"yes, he's out back. he said you would be coming."

he then let her in, and she told him she was going to look around upstairs. he nodded at her, still seeming to lack any emotion.

she walked up the stairs and into the bedroom, seeing that it was a lot cleaner then it was the last time she was here. there was a new vanity, however, it didn't replace the old one, which was still in the room.

she looked at herself in the mirror, and took her phone out of her pocket in case she needed to take pictures of anything. in doing so, a piece of paper fell out of her pocket. it was the paper she found the first time she was here- one her nor spencer could decipher. she placed the paper on the bed.

she looked at a book that lay on top of the newer vanity, seeing that it was a bible. this made her question some things- considering the two marks agnes had on her could have been related to christianity- the lily meaning innocence, and the crown of thorns which her and spencer thought represented the resurrection of jesus.

she picked the bible up, and skimmed the pages seeing if anything was annotated, which she soon realized it wasn't. she placed the book back down on the vanity.

"oh," leah jumped as she heard the voice. "that's mine, sorry."

the bible had belonged to jason porter. he picked it up, and apologized once more before leaving the room. that was weird, leah thought to herself as the man left the room.

she shrugged it off, and then began checking the drawers inside the newer vanity. there were barely anything in them- they contained nothing but boxes of cigarettes and dust bunnies.

leah started to think. was she crazy? was she crazy to think something bad happened to agnes, to think there was more to the story than they were told? she told herself once months ago that agnes would just want to rest, so why was she so obsessed with the idea that something bad happened?

leah groaned internally, and flopped down on the bed, laying down. she felt like a terrible person for doing this- and felt that she was now invading someone's personal space based on a most-likely false theory.

she sat up, composing herself. she looked down at the paper that she had left on the bed a few minutes ago.

however, it looked different. of course, her and spencer hadn't really tried hard to decipher the message, but she never really looked at it from this angle. leah stood up, picking up the paper, examining it very closely. she could almost make out some words now.