Chapter 27

•Nolani•

I feel Giovanni's eyes on me as I grab a glass from the cabinet and fill it with water but I don't face him. I try not to think about last night, his hands and mouth on my body, the way he felt inside me. The tattoo on his back and the secret he kept from me. I tossed and turned all night, my mind racing with thoughts of him— both good and bad. I felt amazing until the guilt set in then everything went up in flames with his revelation. I push the thoughts aside and quickly toast two pieces of bread before taking a seat at the table. I called Dr. Gellars office first thing this morning to see if he could check on the twins today to make sure everything's okay after the few times I've had panic attacks and passed out, so I have an appointment in thirty minutes.

"You look like you didn't get much sleep." Giovanni states as I let out a big yawn.

How could I when he revealed something I never expected minutes after we had sex.

"I have a lot on my mind." I mutter in reply and take a bite of my toast but its tasteless, like chewing on a piece of cardboard.

I force myself to swallow the bite of toast and then wash it down with a drink of water. My stomach churns and grows nauseous, deciding for me whether I'll finish the toast or not.

The motion detector goes off just before the door opens and Nico enters the house. "Ciao bellissima, you're looking exceptionally..." He pauses when he notices the dark circles I didn't bother trying to conceal under my puffy, bloodshot eyes. "...radiant today." His eyes flick over to Giovanni for a moment and then realization lights his features. "You told her."

My eyes narrow. "You knew?"

As if I needed another reason to be mad at him.

"The day before the baby shower when he was talking to them in Italian he admitted it." Nico replies.

The look Nico gave Giovanni that morning... I was so confused and Nico said it was nothing so I brushed it off.

"We can leave whenever you're finished eating." Giovanni says, ignoring Nico and where the conversation is headed.

I rise from my seat and toss the toast in the trash can angrily. "I'm done, I'll go get Angelo."

So he can say it in a language I can't understand but still couldn't tell me in one I could.

"Nolani!" Giovanni calls after me as I quickly leave the room but I don't bother turning around.

A tear escapes just as I make it to Angelo's open door. I brush it away in annoyance and give the door a knock before stepping over the threshold.

Angelo closes his laptop and rises from his bed, a concerned look furrowing his brow as I approach. "What's wrong?"

I shake my head but no words will come out, instead more tears brim my eyes. I cover my face and Angelo pulls me into his chest and pats my back awkwardly.

I laugh. "Wow, you're really bad at this."

He chuckles. "My Mom worked a lot, comforting crying women isn't a skill I was taught."

It's the first time he's ever said anything about his life outside of being my bodyguard.

I pull back, wiping my cheeks and smiling. "I can tell."

"Are you ready to go, Nolani?" Giovanni's sharp tone pierces the small piece of happiness I had found.

Angelo takes a step away from me and his face goes back to his serious mask.