Chapter 10

•Giovanni•

She studies the pictures Rafael had placed on his mantle, scrutinizing each one with her dark eyes. "I'm not showing at all yet. I do have a bit of a stomach at the moment because I ate way too much of your mother's delicious food but regardless I will wear whatever I choose to Mr. DeLuca—" she looks over at me, her chin jutted out defiantly. "—no matter if I'm a few months pregnant or nine months pregnant and that's just something you will have to get used to. As for my hand coming to my stomach I honestly didn't even realize I was doing that, I'll try my best to refrain from now on. What I don't understand is how anyone will know who the father of these babies are."

She has no idea what kind of shit she's gotten herself into, she's naïve and it's going to get her killed. I wouldn't even blink an eye at that fact if it weren't for Rafael. Like most younger siblings do I looked up to my older brother, I wanted to be like him, I'll do anything to see this paternity issue through.

I rise from the couch and slowly approach her, taking my time and letting her grow nervous. "One thing you will come to understand, Miss Michaels, is I don't tolerate disobedience." I don't stop until we're toe to toe. I know exactly how to get what I want and I'm not against playing her to do it. She's a beautiful girl it's not like it would be a burden. "In fact the last person that disobeyed me ended up at the bottom of the river."

She shivers as I whisper in her ear and then she takes a deep breath. Going off the way she spoke to her friend at her appointment the pregnancy hormones are making her crave more than just food. I can work with that. I'll do whatever it takes to make sure those babies are okay until I know whether or not Raf is actually their father. I'd never forgive myself if I allowed the last piece of him to leave this earth as abruptly as he did.

"The bottom of the river?" She asks and I can easily tell she's struggling.

"Mhmm."

Her flesh is pebbled in goosebumps, they pop up along her bare shoulders and arms. I brush the tip of my nose across the shell of her ear and her breathing grows erratic. The action threatens my mask to slip and reveal my triumph but I don't allow it to. Damn, I love getting my way. If I find out she's allowing another man to touch her while pregnant it'll be his death sentence. I can't have anyone screwing this up, it's going to take a lot to make her agreeable, to keep her compliant. I normally wouldn't care but Mamma says stress isn't good for the babies. It'll be a tricky middle ground to manage but I can handle it.

"You aren't sleeping with your bodyguard, are you?" I question quietly.

She pauses for a moment and it's then I know I've clearly fucked up. She bites her lip and slides her hands up my suit jacket, her arms wrap around my neck and our bodies mold together. I keep my hands tucked in the pockets of my slacks and let her have her fun. She glides her nose across my cheek, rising up on her tip toes until we're lips to lips but she doesn't kiss me so I don't pull away. She doesn't know I can see right through her, she's also smarter than I originally thought.

"That's none of your damn business." She whispers the words slowly, dragging them out. I let her think she's won, allowing my eyes to fill with anger over her antics. She takes a step back and walks over to the couch to retrieve her suit jacket. "I'll see myself out."

I listen to the sound of her heels clicking against the floor fade until the front door opens and closes and then Riot and Nico enters the den with matching grins tilting their lips.

"You enjoy the show?" I ask the pair, knowing they were undoubtedly watching our interaction on the live feed in Rafael's office.

I take a seat on the couch and pull my cigar case from my suit jacket, plucking a cigar out and cut the tip over the ash tray resting on the coffee table.