Chapter 26

•Nolani•

Giovanni's hand slips across my jaw and tangles in my hair as he pulls me onto his lap. The long skirt of my dress gets stuck around my legs so I lift it high, allowing me the freedom to straddle him. His other hand releases my arm and grasps my waist, pushing me closer until my stomach stops us.

He breaks the kiss with a deep chuckle, his hand coming to my round bump. "I don't think they appreciate being smushed."

"I think you're right." I laugh in agreement as the twins kick like crazy where my stomach meets Giovanni's.

His eyes focus on his hand, his thumb rubbing back and forth across my stomach and then the SUV stops. Both front doors open and I freeze as I realize Matteo and Angelo witnessed that entire conversation. I was so caught up in Giovanni I forgot they were even in the vicinity.

Giovanni brushes a light kiss against my lips that leaves me wanting more, then he lifts me off his lap and onto the seat just before Angelo opens the backdoor for us. Giovanni slides out and offers me his hand which I take and our hand remain together as we enter the house.

Giovanni glances over at Matteo and then Angelo as we stop in the living room. "You're both dismissed for the night."

They each give him a silent nod and quickly exit the room. The living room seems much smaller once we're alone with his hand in mine and the taste of him on my tongue. I lick my lips and his amber eyes focus on the movement until my tongue slips back inside my mouth. He steps closer to me, his eyes smoldering— the beeping of the motion detector breaks the spell he's under and his amber gaze shoots to the door.

Leo and Jade enter the house, Jade's eyes immediately noticing my hand is in Giovanni's. I quickly jerk my hand out of his grasp and take a few steps back as Leo shuts the door. I can feel Giovanni's eyes on me but I can't meet them, instead I focus on Jade but I feel it the moment he leaves the room.

"Are you feeling better?" She asks giving me a once over.

I nod, taking in a deep breath. "Yeah, just tired."

"Guess what." She says as Leo exits the room after removing his shoes.

"You kissed Leo?"

Her eyes go wide. "What? No way. Remember your words from earlier? I'm not trying to get myself into the same situation you're in."

I did say that.

"Smart girl." I mutter.

"Leo said that Giovanni told him I could stay here for a few days if I wanted."

My eyebrows raise in surprise. "Really?"

She nods. "Yeah, apparently he told him sometime during the baby shower."

"Thank god!" I exclaim happily. "Maybe this means you'll be able to come visit whenever you want."

"Hopefully. I've missed you. The only other friends I have are also in journalism and you never know what you'll say that they'll run as a story so I avoid them at all costs." She gives a dry laugh then lets out a big yawn. "I've been up since four am so I think I'm going to change out of these clothes and pass out."

"Okay, Goodnight." I reply and decide I should probably do the same.

She flashes me a big smile. "See you in the morning."

Jade goes to the guest room where Leo had put her suitcase earlier and I retire to my own room. I wash my face, brush my teeth, change into a t-shirt and a pair of boy shorts before slipping under the covers. Alone in my room in the dark with nothing to distract me my mind goes back to the kiss with Giovanni. The way his mouth felt on mine, the way he tasted. What if we had been alone, would things have escalated? Things shouldn't escalate though, I know that but— wow, what a kiss.