Chapter 20

•Nolani•

Luís and Jay guide me around the room making introductions and small talk with each person there. Jay is really nice and laid back but Luís is constantly on guard and serious. Everyone he introduces me to is cold and broody, none of them even bother to smile but I still keep my model mask on my face the whole time. The longer Giovanni's gone the more uncomfortable and tense I grow. It feels like everyone constantly has their eyes on me, like they're dissecting every move I make, waiting to spot a weakness so they can strike. It's unnerving. The only thing keeping me sane is Jays playful banter and Angelo standing across the room by Matteo. I know no matter what happens Angelo will do his best to protect me and the twins.

When dinner is served we're escorted to the dinning room. Luís pulls out my chair and I take a seat, he keeps the seat on my right empty for Giovanni who still hasn't come back. Riot enters the room and sits in the empty chair on my left taking me by surprise since I hadn't seen him the entire time.

He leans toward me and I stiffen. "Where's G?" He whispers.

"I'm not sure. He went off with Valentina a while ago." I reply quietly.

Riots eyes flick over to Luís who is seated at the end of the large table, "Luís where's, Valentina?"

"She and Giovanni are—"

"Right here." Valentina cuts her brother off as she enters the room with Giovanni trailing behind.

Her red painted lips purse as her eyes meet Riots.

"I'm right on time then." Riot shoots her a smirk.

Giovanni takes the empty seat on my right and Valentina takes her seat at the head of the table.

She looks like a regal queen on her throne, her back straight and her head held high as her eyes skate across her dinner guests.

"You were gone forever." I whisper to Giovanni in annoyance.

"Business took longer than expected." He replies, not meeting my gaze as he reaches for his glass after a server fills it with water.

My eyes zero in on a light smear of red on his jaw, the sight sparks a fire of anger inside me that threatens to blaze out of control.

"You have some left over business on your jaw." I hiss.

If he wanted to go bang Valentina wherever they disappeared off to why even bother to tell her we were engaged? And why couldn't I stay at his house while he 'took care of business', I thought his goal was to keep the twins safe? I haven't felt safe since we drove down the driveway when we arrived.

Giovanni grabs the linen napkin from the table and presses it against the condensation on his glass, letting the liquid dampen the cloth before rubbing it down his jaw— completely missing the red smear.

"Did I get it?" He asks, his amber eyes finally meeting mine.

"No." I shake my head, watching as he tries again. "To the left a few inches." I instruct him but he moves way more than a few inches. "No, ugh. Just let me do it." I demand quietly, taking the napkin from him before he can even try objecting.

I dab lightly at the spot, feeling his eyes on me as I concentrate on the task until his skin is clean. Our eyes meet and I clear my throat and pull back as I realize I was leaning toward him much too close for comfort. "There, all clean." I mutter, placing his napkin back on the table.

"You guys are too cute." Valentina says in a sugary sweet voice that falls flat.

I'm not sure if she hates me or if that's just the way she is but I'm definitely not a fan.