Chapter 14

•Nolani•

The morning after I moved into Giovanni's I called Jade and tried to tell her about my current situation without revealing too much. She was instantly worried and freaked out, demanding I give her the address to his house but with Giovanni's warning in mind I didn't. Instead I calmed her down and told her she would be able to visit soon, even though I actually had no idea when or if Giovanni would let her. It's something I told myself I'd have to figure out eventually. I had to call my agent and tell her I needed to pause all jobs right now and blamed it on nausea then my publicist who begged me to at least do a phone interview which I told her I would think about even though I knew Giovanni's head would burst at even the question of doing an interview. Quinn was the only person that wouldn't take my call. I left him a voicemail since the number I was calling from wasn't mine and I also texted him a few times but he still hadn't answered. I just hoped he wasn't too hurt I had kept it from him.

Leo wasn't lying when he said Giovanni is never home but what he neglected to tell me was that he is also never home, so I'm stuck in the house all day with Angelo or Matteo. I know for a fact I'm driving them crazy already and it's only been three days. The only highlight of my day is when Viola brings food over, I think I've become obsessed with authentic Italian food.

I've also quickly learned that Giovanni's cat is evil. It hisses at me every time it sees me and sneaks in my room at night while I'm asleep to terrorize me even when I shut the door! How Leo thinks that cat is sweet I'll never understand.

I do love where Giovanni's house is located though. The neighborhood is so quiet and the sound of the waterfall just makes it really peaceful especially while doing yoga on the deck by the pool. After yoga I just bask in the warmth of the sun while meditating, wishing summer would stick around a little longer. I honestly think I could live in his backyard. I plan on replicating it the best I can if I ever get to go home.

"There you are, cara, I've brought lunch." Viola's voice greets me from my spot on the deck.

My eyes pop open at the mention of food. I stand up and roll my yoga mat up before following her back inside the house. The delicious smell of Viola's cooking hits me as soon as I step over the threshold and my mouth waters. I swear she had to be a chef in a past life.

"I'm not going to fit through the door if you keep feeding me like this." I say as I eye the spread of food she's placed on the table. "Not that I'm complaining." I add before taking a sip from the glass of water she's already placed in front of my usual seat.

She spoils me and I love it, I soak every bit of it up and try not to beg for more. Even Jade's mother doesn't spoil her like Viola seems to with her children.

Viola laughs. "I could teach you if you want, or Giovanni could. I taught all of my children how to cook."

For the millionth time in my life I wish my Mom had been more of a mother. I couldn't imagine growing up with Viola as a parent. She's so sweet and gentle yet stern, she still scolds her children even though they're all grown but she means well. It's such a basic skill but a necessary one. You would think all parents would teach their children how to cook but the only thing my Mom taught me was as long as I stayed pretty I could get men to do whatever I wanted.

"I would love if you taught me." I reply grateful, telling myself not to become emotional over an offer to teach me how to cook.

She gives me a smile that envelopes me like a hug as if she knows I didn't have a proper parental figure.

How did Giovanni come from this woman?