Chapter 28 ~Curse*

Wendy had drowned. She was sure of it, yet she was fully aware of being underwater. She opened her eyes and was shocked into reality. Her eye sight was amazing. She could see everything underwater. The coral reefs and the tiny plankton hiding among them. The schools of fish swimming all around her. She could see a hundred times better than she could above water.

She kept trying to swim up to the surface for the air she should be needing. The thing was, she didn't think she really needed to. She tried to breath, but she was breathing in the water. Her lungs weren't on fire. She was breathing the water like it was her own personal oxygen supply.

It scared her. What the hell did Syrena do to her? Or maybe she really was dead. Wendy pinched herself like her mother used to tell her to do when she was having a bad dream. It hurt. She panicked and looked around in the water for something familiar. Her gaze dropped to her injured leg. She found something more than she expected.

Wendy was looking for the stab wound. The wound was gone, but something else replaced it. Scales were beginning to grow upon her legs. She looked down at herself in horror. She then realized what Syrena did. She gave her a fate worse than death. She had turned her into a mermaid.

~~~~~~~~

Felix had never seen Pan out of composure before. He looked at him with a worried expression. He was soaking wet. After they had killed the mermaid, Pan had dove off the cliff like a maniac. Felix had jumped in after him.

"PAN!" He had yelled above the water.

"She has be here. She has to." He murmured to himself like a crazy person. Felix didn't blame him. He expected to hate him after seeing him again, but when Wendy went over the edge, he saw that the pain had latched itself to Pan. He had no idea of Pan's feelings for her. He should've, he supposed, but up until recently, he hadn't cared about what played in Pan's mind.

He was his friend, before Tinkerbell. He thought that Pan would never understand what he put him through. He was wrong. He had rushed to save her, they both had. Felix wasn't even sure why he did so. He never wanted to see her face ever again. He had blamed her until that moment. Seeing her being tortured made him remember how she ran into him crying and telling him about Tink. He hadn't realized until seeing her on that cliff how much she had cared about Tink. How she had cried alone, too.

And now it was too late to take it all back. Wendy was a mermaid. His guess was that, even if she had survived the fall, she probably swam far, far away from here. He saw the loss in her eyes. She truly that she was about to die. He knew by Pan's reaction that Wendy had loved him too. She probably didn't want him to see her like how she is. After seeing Syrena's deadly face, he couldn't picture it on Wendy. She probably couldn't either.

"Pan, we have to get back to the Lost Boys." He tried. Pan went underwater for a couple minutes and then came back up empty handed.

"Pan.." He tried.

"GO! Just go, then! Don't pretend like you even liked her. We both know you hated her!" Felix didn't flinch away because he was too surprised by Pan's face. His eyes were red and puffy. Tears leaked out of the corners of his eyes. Pan was falling apart before his very eyes. Felix bowed his head silently. Pan needed to be alone, just like he once needed to be.

"Just....come back to camp..." He silently pleaded. And then Felix turned and swam to shore. When he finally reached the shore, he heard it.

Pan's choked and broken sobs could be heard from anywhere on the beach. Felix took a deep breath and headed to camp to tell the Lost Boys that Wendy Darling was never coming back.

~~~~~~~~

Wendy found that it was impossible to cry underwater. If it was, she would have flooded the sea by now. She pushed herself to the surface of the water. She could barley swim. Her legs had began to stick to the other. She was beginning to grow her tail. She used her arms to stay above the surface.