Chapter 2 ~Shadow*

A dark figure soared toward the Darling's window. It flew through the wall into the children's room.

The bedroom had creamy walls and cherry wood floors. There was a large bookcase on the wall with the door on the right side from the window. On the left side sat two beds. The third bed sat alone against the center wall.

The Shadow crept up to them reading their auras to see which one was having the vicious nightmare about him.

The first boy seemed to be about thirteen. He was very tall and had brown hair. The Shadow looked at how his feet hung off the bed. He was snoring rather loudly and it made him hope that this wasn't the child he was looking for.

The boy was dreaming about fighting pirates. He aura was happy, content. This wasn't the child he was looking for. The Shadow moved on toward the next bed.

This boy looked like he was six or seven. It was very rare to find a child this young that would make the wish. They usually wanted their mother and father over anything else.

As expected, this was not the boy he needed. This young one dreamt of fluffy clouds and the very teddy bear he was cuddling.

He moved to the last bed. The person had their blankets over their head. This was the one. The Shadow was certain. He lifted a black, transparent hand to the blanket and pulled it away from the child.

He stared in shock. A girl. So this was a mistake? Did he get the wrong house? He must have. He felt his master looking through his eyes. He knew the emotions of him. A sudden rush of excitement filled his head.

"Check the girl." His voice was anxious. His command, however, was icy. For a century now he had been his master's servant. He was already used to the cruelty.

He searched the girl's mind for the dream that he planted in the distressed child. Her mind was blocking him. He had to use a large amount of his energy to even get a glimpse. But when he did, it all rushed towards him.

The dream. Her name. How she felt, scared and hopeless. The reasoning about her feelings. Her aura read insecure, brilliant, and loyal. Smart, powerful, and good. The one word that The Shadow himself could not piece together was the most important. The words surrounding her sleeping form were dull and fuzzy. This word was the biggest and the brightest. Dangerous.

He heard his master gasp. How could someone be dangerous compared to him? Competition was suddenly all his master could think about. Winning. Destroying her and winning.

The Shadow didn't dare begin to think what he was about to. He stopped the thought in its tracks and focussed on anything else. He had learned to not think for himself when his body was being occupied. Lucky for him, his master was distracted with his gruesome thoughts of killing the poor girl.

"So I assume you want to leave her here?" The Shadow turned for the window and his master panicked just the way he wanted him to.

"Stop..."

The Shadow did as told and stopped in his tracks. He thought the innocent thoughts of confusion while his plan was working.

"Master?"

"Attach yourself to her human shadow. We'll watch her for twenty-four hours. I will need more information before she can come here. Is this clear to you, my Shadow?"

"Yes, Master. Pan never fails." With that The Shadow weaved himself into her shadow and ended her nightmare and suffering. Even after all this time, he still had bits and peaces of his human compassion left.