Chapter 30 ~Heart Of The Truest Believer*

Wendy Darling was gone. She knew it when she opened her eyes. She should have died. At least, she wanted to....

When Wendy had opened her eyes and saw the bluest of blue skies, she sobbed waterless tears. Mermaids don't cry, they weren't given the liberty to. Wendy thought about what had went wrong. She knew, of course. She was mad at herself. At her weakness. She could have died. If this had happened to her two months ago, she would have.

Pan was the reason for every single thing since Wendy had landed in Neverland. She had hated him. She even loved him. The thing was, she didn't feel her love for him as strong as she did before she turned. She did love him. To the bottom of her heart, but a new hate surfaced.

He was the reason she could not die.

He was the reason she became stuck in Neverland.

He was the reason she let her guard down and loved someone for the first time.

He was the reason she became a mermaid.

~~~~~~~~

Pan felt it. He felt her presence on the island. She was still very far away, but he knew. He was walking across the beach when it happened. The vision hit him so fast, he fell to his knees in the sand gasping for air. It was like someone had aimed a camera to her face and zoomed in almost all the way. All he saw was her closed eyes. The milky white skin of her eyelids and the delicate feather-like texture of her dark eyelashes.

And then her chocolate brown eyes flashed open. He could just make out the hidden golden flecks in them when the vision was ripped away from him.

For a moment he felt like he did the second he saw her fall. Like he had lost everything. He took a deep breath. She was fine, she was okay. That should be all he needed to know. All he should want for himself. But the great Peter Pan had no morals. He was thick with selfishness. It made him sick to think she was fine without him.

He wanted her right next to him. To press her up against a tree and kiss her till the jungle spun. To finally be able to hold her. After all this time, to actually be able to be with Wendy Darling. Without having to worry if there was someone lurking through the camp. Someone out to hurt her. Never having to worry for her life again.

If she came back, he could have that.

Syrena was dead. The mystery person was dead and they could all live there lives like normal. If Wendy decided to come back, they could both get whatever they wanted. They could live happily for the rest of eternity. They could be together forever. No child ever ages on Neverland. Their love would never end and they could both rule over Lost Boys until the world comes to an end.

And then he remembered that they wouldn't have forever. There was a great possibility Pan would not be able to find a heart in time. And then it would be he leaving her alone.

As long as there was still a chance to save himself, he would search for it. Wendy Darling would never be in harm's way again.

~~~~~~~~

Felix had gone to the treehouse again. He couldn't hold it in any longer. He had sat up there for hours crying into her hammock. With all the Wendy drama and with Pan falling apart, Neverland was never going to be the same again. He thought that he would never see the day Pan would crumble. He thought if by a miracle it came, he thought he would be taking Tink's hand and getting the hell out of Neverland. He thought he would be forever blissful.

But everything is not what it seems. The happily ever after Felix had pictured was mangled and broken. His girl.....dead. His freedom.....gone. His hear......broken. His pride.....hanging by a thread. He cried for Tinkerbell remembered what he had told Pan the day before.