Chapter 12 ~Caged*

Wendy had never felt betrayed before. It was a new feeling that she did not expect to trigger a hatred in herself. She had told Pan that she wouldn't trust him, but isn't that exactly what she did? She trusted him enough to fall asleep in his arms. Enough to keep her safe even if it was for a short time. And this is what it earned her. A cage. A freaking cage!

She had never stopped replaying the moment in her head. If she had just accepted his request about her trust, she wouldn't be in this situation right now. She could have lied. Pan wouldn't have known the difference.

Pan relocated his camp, also. Just to mock her. They were all right below her. All of the Lost Boys knew she was up there. None of them offered to help her. They were all too scared of their evil king of Neverland. The only thing they did was steal quick glances at her when Pan wasn't looking. But Pan usually was looking. Even when Wendy didn't know he was. And when she did, she would make eye contact with him. He would simply arch a perfect eyebrow and give her a devilish smirk.

Wendy didn't know what he was trying to accomplish. After all the effort to keep her tucked away from everyone else, what did he expect? It was like he was trying to convince her that he was good, all the while doing something bad. Thinking about it too hard made Wendy's head spin.

As days passed, one night she couldn't sleep. It wasn't because the cage was uncomfortable, she had managed that most nights. It was the questions swimming through her mind. Had she made the right decision running away from London? From her brothers? From her mother? She knew she would never become a part of that family again. Partly from the obvious reason. She was forever stuck in Neverland. The other part was because she never belonged.

The members of her household had their own place in it. Michael was the baby of the three children who would make people smile, even Wendy's father. He was the goofball. John was the brains who often assisted her father in his work. He was only one year younger than her. Mr. Darling was a bitter man who brought realism to all of their childish delusions and fantasies. And Mrs. Darling was compassionate. She was caring and understanding about most everything.

And Wendy was just Wendy. She had a bit of her mother in her mixed with John's brains. Neverland was turning her into her father. The more she realized this the more she wanted to squirm.

During the day, Wendy would just stare off into space. She would imagine the life she would have if she ever got off the island. Wendy would not go back to London, no. She would go somewhere quiet. Somewhere small. Not a busy city, but maybe a small town. She imagined herself finishing school and telling stories about her horrors here.

She knew that she would never get off this island. She knew that it would only hurt her to keep picturing a day when she would. But Wendy would always believe. No one ever grows up in Neverland. No one ever ages. She would remain fourteen forever. And forever was a very long time. So she must believe, for the sake of her sanity, that she would somehow get away.

Wendy Darling closed her eyes and wished on the same star that brought her here to take her back.

Pan didn't know what to do. He let his impulsiveness get the best of him and lashed out. It didn't matter that he didn't want to kill her for her heart. He had to have it, and he may have just ruined his only chance of getting it.

He paced back and forth in front of the hourglass, once again consulting with his shadow.

"Why would you let her see who you really are? Is your goal not to obtain her heart?" The Shadow asked him while sitting upon the hourglass. He drummed his dark fingers against its top making only silence.

"Of course I want her heart! Don't take me for a fool. I lost my temper. That's all it was. I don't understand why she has to be so sensitive." He pulled on his hair like he always does to keep from yelling. The Shadow calculated his actions.

"Then why not let her out of the cage?"

"Because she will run. That bloody pirate planted ideas into her head. The second I give her compassion, she will flee." He could just picture it. Her frightened gaze locking with his. Her new white dress he got her tearing through the forest poking holes in the fabric. What had he done?

"Pan, doesn't it work both ways? If you trust she won't run, maybe she will trust that you can be kinder toward her." The Shadow simply stated as if this whole matter was ridiculous . As if the answer was so simple, but Pan was too stupid to figure it out. It really infuriated him.

"It's too late! Its much easier getting people to hate something than to believe."

"Did you forget what the Wendy child possesses? She has the heart of the truest believer. She may believe easier than you think."

Pan had heard enough. He stormed out of Skull Rock and flew back to camp. By the time he had gotten there it was pitch black. Even the Lost Boys lay asleep in their tents. All but one Lost Girl perched high up in a jungle tree.

"Good evening, my Wendy." Her form stiffened, but she answered in a husky voice.

"Pan."

"Enjoying your cage? I've never been in one, is it comfortable? I'm envious!" Sarcasm dripped from his tongue. It came naturally to him. He hoped it would unsettle her. Make her plead just one more time before he let her out. He held the key in his palm, but he didn't dare take a step toward her cage.

"I will get out, one way or another. I have all the time in the world, right? All the time in the world! So I can just keep escaping over and over and over again until you get tired of me." She smirked and cocked her head inviting him to make a comeback.

"I never get bored with things that interest me." He warned her.

"Yes, I'm sure the Lost Boys just look like they do before they came here."

Pan was speechless. There was a fire in her that cured all the diseases in his heart. He never wanted anything so bad. This, of course, made him want to keep her from Hook, or anyone else she could run off to. He slid the key back into his belt.

"You have a good night sleep, Darling."

"Not likely," she replied back and watched as he disappeared into his tent.

She would get out. Only time will tell.