Chapter 82

Esmeray was glad to return home.

It was the early hours of the morning, the following day, when they got to the house. She knew that the Originals would be hungry. While Hayley had taken Klaus to see Hope, Esmeray had cut them some fruit before helping them settle into the rooms. Hayley and Elijah would, of course, double up, as would Esmeray and Klaus, since the other rooms were for Kol, Freya, Rebekah, Hope, and Keelin.

"Hey," she said, knocking on the doorframe and coming in as Klaus was examining the clothes she'd already prepared for him before leaving to get Keelin. She could see that he hadn't yet showered. "Need me to help you with the bath?"

"If you please, love."

She went to prepare the water, knowing that he liked it a bit more on the cold side. She set out the shampoos, conditioners, body washes, and soaps she used as well as a fresh loofah and towel set before coming to let him know it was ready.

"Need help?" she asked, recalling how Hayley had needed to help her when she'd returned from her captivity.

"Not at the moment," he said, since he was at full strength again. "I would... enjoy some bourbon, however."

She grinned. "Coming right up." She trotted downstairs to get him a bottle and a glass, checking in briefly on Keelin, who was already fast asleep, before returning, and setting his things on the nightstand that would be on the side of the bed he usually slept in.

He came out with only a towel around his waist. Esmeray respectfully left the room, claiming that she needed to wash the dishes. Really, she knew that after being trapped for five years, he might not be as comfortable with her seeing him so bare, even if she'd seen him that way before. He'd been understanding about it when she'd been in the same situation, and she knew it was only right to do the same.

"Got everything you need?" she asked, finding he was in pajamas. "Need any extra blankets or pillows? I know it's not as big as our other bed, and I can always go down to the sofa if you need—"

"I'm alright, love. You don't need to walk on eggshells around me. I wish to be close to you."

She came to sit on the bed alongside him, watching him pour himself some bourbon. He leaned his head back after taking a sip, closing his eyes briefly before setting the glass down. "I didn't speak to her," he whispered, and right away, she knew he meant Hope. "She looked so peaceful, asleep. I did not wish to disturb her."

"She's the perfect kid," said Esmeray, bringing her knees up to her chest. "Super curious. She wants a little sister, by the way."

"Oh? Did she say that to you?"

"Yep. She's smart, and attentive. She learned already that babies don't actually come from storks, but she also knows that she won't get away with asking Hayley and I about the specifics. If she had access to a library, I bet you'd be hearing her spouting out medical terms."

Klaus chuckled. "I saw her drawings and paintings. She took after me without realizing it."

"Yep, she's talented, just like her dad. She wonders about you all the time. I'm glad she'll finally get to meet you tomorrow." She held out her arm. "Do you want to see my memories of her?"

He nodded, taking her hand and going into her mind, exiting it after a brief moment, tears in his eyes. "She's grown so much," he mused. "She was once so small, I could hold her in one arm... and now, she's nearly seven." He then stopped, and frowned. "Love, I lost track of time. It was your birthday yesterday and you were conducting a rescue mission."

"Having you back is the best birthday present I could have asked for," she reassured him, squeezing his hand.

He then hesitated to ask his next question. "Love, about Lucien, did you—?"