eight

THE FLAMES IN THE GOBLET turned suddenly red again. Sparks began to fly from it. Next moment, a tongue of flame shot into the air, a charred piece of parchment fluttered out of it - the whole room gasped.

Dumbledore caught the piece of parchment and held it at arm's length, so that he could read it by the light of the flames, which had turned back to blue-white.

"The champion for Durmstrang," he read, in a strong, clear voice, "will be Viktor Krum." "Yes! " yelled Malfoy as a storm of applause and cheering swept the Hall. Y/n merely rolled her eyes at the blond.

"Okay, that's definitely something," whispered Y/n to Emma. joining the rest of the room in clapping. "It's not a surprise, really," replied Emma, as the two eyed Viktor Krum rising from their table and slouching up toward Dumbledore.

He turned right, walked along the staff table, and disappeared through the door into the next chamber.

"Bravo, Viktor!" boomed Karkaroff, so loudly that everyone could hear him, even over all the applause. "Knew you had it in you!".

The clapping and chatting died down. Now everyone's attention was focused again on the goblet, which, seconds later, turned red once more. A second piece of parchment shot out of it, propelled by the flames.

"The champion for Beauxbatons," said Dumbledore, "is Fleur Delacour!"

"She's pretty!" Ben gushed as the girl who so resembled a veela got gracefully to her feet, shook back her sheet of silvery blonde hair, and swept up between the Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff tables.

"She's not the girl you talked to yesterday, is she?" Y/n asked her friend. To which Ben merely shrugged, and shook his head, staring at Fleur with heart eyes.

"Oh look, they're all disappointed," Emma said over the noise, nodding toward the remainder of the Beauxbatons party. Two of the girls who had not been selected had dissolved into tears and were sobbing with their heads on their arms.

"I don't understand why they're so sad, i'd rather sit this tournament out," said Y/n, furrowing her eyebrows at the weeping girls.

When Fleur Delacour too had vanished into the side chamber, silence fell again, but this time it was a silence so stiff with excitement you could almost taste it. The Hogwarts champion next. And the Goblet of Fire turned red once more; sparks showered out of it; the tongue of flame shot high into the air, and from its tip Dumbledore pulled the third piece of parchment.

"The Hogwarts champion," Dumbledore started.

"Please be a Slytherin, please be a Slytherin, please be a Slytherin," Y/n heard Malfoy pleading, crossing his fingers and shutting his eyes.

Dumbledore then called, "is Cedric Diggory!"

"No!" said JJ loudly, "Are you serious? Pretty boy Diggory?" JJ continued, groaning. "How's he gonna compete in a tournament like this?" he added, throwing his head back out of frustration.

"I think he's a tough bloke, you know," said Ben, watching the handsome Cedric walk toward Dumbledore.

"He's not so bad," Y/n joined in, She thought Cedric was strikingly handsome, and she knew what kind of things he was capable of. She knew Cedric was a great wizard.

Not to mention he was very kind. She had talked to Cedric a couple times. He was a prefect, and so he gave advises to Y/n whenever she got into trouble. He'd take points off of her, but not that many. Unlike the prefects from Ravenclaw and Gryffindor. Y/n and Cedric have hung out a couple times outside of that too, him used to being close with her brother and all.