fourteen

CHRISTMAS BREAK CAME AROUND, Y/n and Emma were dragging their trunks from the dungeons to the hall - trying to get the boys to help them load their luggage on the train.

It excited Y/n that it was finally christmas - although her brother wouldn't be coming home.

He was going to spend christmas with Hermione and the Weasleys - and wherever JJ went, Ben followed. They came in double, precisely. You order JJ, you also got Ben.

tw: mention of abuse, death, and drug addiction

Ben spent all of his school breaks with The Lewis family ever since he met JJ. His own home wasn't really a safe environment. Ever since his mother died in the first wizarding war, Ben's father became a drug addict - an abusive one too.

The Lewis was more than happy to welcome Ben into their home, treating him like family.

Emma wasn't going to spend her christmas with Y/n either, going home to her family. So Y/n was left alone with her parents.

"Why is this so heavy?" Emma complained, groaning. Y/n looked behind her - finding her best friend struggling to carry her things.

She worriedly ran to Emma - "You alright?" Y/n asked, "Want me to help?"

Emma huffed as she sat down on one of the steps of stairs, looking up ay Y/n and shaking her head. "No, no," Emma declined, "Go ahead, Y/n, i'm gonna take a break - look for Ben please."

"Alright," Y/n agreed, and she began looking for Ben right away – to help Emma with her luggage.

She didn't pay attention to where she was going – looking left and right, searching for her best friend.

When suddenly, Y/n felt her body clashing with someone else's.

She looked up – finding Jace's brown eyes staring down at hers. His hair was curlier than usual – and his whole appearance definitely looked messier than a normal school day.

"Sorry," Jace apologized. "No, no, i wasn't looking, it was my fault," said Y/n.

"So, going home for the holidays, huh?" he asked, putting both his hands in his pockets – due to the cold area, maybe.

"Yeah," Y/n nodded, "What about you?"

Jace took a while to respond. He just kind of frowned – looking down to his feet. He sighed, before saying, "Unfortunately, yes."

"Why is it unfortunate?" Y/n couldn't help but ask – she was curious about why going home would be such a bad thing.

"I dunno," he shrugs, "I think i'm just not ready to see my brother – we fight a lot, you see. Over the dumbest things."

"Well," said Y/n, placing her hand on his shoulder for comfort, "I'm sure this time you two will find a way to communicate better. Maybe that's what you're lacking – just a bit of communication."

"Maybe," James chuckled – as his eyes moved back up to Y/n's.

He slowly leaned in, placing his hand on her chin. Jace approached closer and closer, trying to kiss her.

At the most perfect moment possible, Emma came.

"Newsflash," she spoke up, making Y/n jump away from the Hufflepuff immediately – looking at the scowling Emma with wide eyes. "Y/n didn't find Ben," she added.

Emma stomped away – and of course, Y/n tried to chase her.

But she was held back by Jace, who gave her a questioning look. "Jace, i'm sorry," Y/n apologized, "You're great, but i really am not interested."