forty-eight

I looked for Ben all across the castle. He was never really good at hiding, but today, I couldn't seem to find him. He was not looking forward to potions at all, and what happened only added to his burden. But knowing Ben, there was no place he loved more than the astronomy tower. The place he could just be.

I climed the stairs to the tower, only to find Ben laying on his back, alone, staring up into the ceiling. Slowly, I approached him. He must've heard my footsteps. He sat up and looked at me, quickly drying his tears.

"Oh come on," I smiled. "Ben, you know better than to hide your tears from me."

He sniffled, and fell into my arms.

"What's going on?" I asked as I held him tight. Ben has always liked hugs — they've always made him feel better.

"I miss Henry," he said. "I really do."

I sighed and nodded. "Me too, Ben. But you know dad, he always wanted us to hold on to family, to each other. So, that is what we're going to do, okay?"

Ben let go of me. He forced a smile. "Okay," Ben whispered. "I love you, Y/n."

With a weak smile, I replied, "I love you too, Ben."

Trying to lighten up the mood, I teased him, "So it's Emma, huh?"

Ben looked down. "I feel stupid."

I placed my hand on his shoulder reassuringly. "You shouldn't."

He groans in stress. "She is completely head over heels for Jace Wood."

I shook my head. "Because she doesn't know that you are the one for her, brother!"

Ben rolled his eyes and laughed. It sounded genuine now. And I was most relieved to hear it.

"You know.." Ben trailed off. "It hasn't always been Emma."

"Really?" I raised my eyebrows.

"It's been Emma for the past year or two, and I'm really sure about her. I love her, Y/n."

"But before," he sighed. He looked reluctant to tell me. But he did. "It was JJ."

I nearly gasped. My jaw fell to the floor. How could I have not seen it? Now that I thought of it, it was clear as day.

"Ben?" I asked. "Really? Why didn't you tell me?"

"I only told Emma," Ben said. "I couldn't tell my dad that I was bi, and I was just so scared of what he would think, so I kept it all to myself, until I couldn't take it anymore. And I couldn't tell you, I couldn't possibly do that to you. What do I say? Y/n, I'm in love with your brother?"

"It must've been killing you." I frowned. "You should know Ben, that there is nothing in the world that could make me adore you any less."

Ben chuckles. "Yeah. And to see him with Cedric was just.. Tiring."

"Cedric?" I asked. What was going on with JJ and Cedric? "I know JJ is pan, he is very out and very proud. But... He had something going on with Cedric?"

"Oh, he loved him. Cedric didn't know though. JJ just figured he was straight and stayed away from him for his own good," Ben revealed. And now it all made sense — why JJ was so upset when Cedric died.

"I didn't know that," were the only words that came out of my mouth.

Then Ben said, "Emma was the one who was there for me through everything. Absolutely everything. She's kind, she's beautiful, she's like a force of adrenaline, you know? The good kind."

I chuckled. "I'm familiar with the Emma effect."

He looked at me and went, "I don't know what I'd do without her, Y/n. And now, I think she knows my true feelings about her. I don't want to risk losing her."