forty-three

"Are you ready to talk now?"

Theo and Y/n were walking along the narrow corridor of Hogwarts Express. Theo wanted to talk, so he held her back. Y/n just wanted to get it over with.

"You do the talking, i'll listen," she said, as she grabbed her luggage.

"I want you to know that i love you," Theo confessed.

Y/n paused, and looked at him. She felt like it was too soon to be talking about love.

And then they walked again.

"And i'll never do stupid shit like that again, Y/n, i mean it."

"Theo, look -" Y/n said, - but she felt her foot bumping into something on the floor. "What the hell?"

Y/n bent down and used her hand to feel the floor of the train, and not long after, she caught something. It felt like a cloak.

Harry's invisibility cloak.

She ripped it away, and found Harry, petrified, nose bloody.

"Geez, what happened to you?"

➽───────────────❥

Y/n and Nott helped Harry up, and the three of them headed to the castle together.

Harry didn't understand how he could act that way around Y/n. He and Malfoy were the ones who put him into that position.

And them attacking him only further proved his point.

Now at the great hall, they all sat down with the Gryffindors. Nott included. Harry didn't quite like that either.

"Where have you been?" Hermione asked worriedly. "What happened to your face?

"Later," Harry glared at Nott. He was avoiding eye contact. "What did I miss?

"Sorting Hat says we ought to be brave and strong in these trouble times. Easy for it to say, though. It's a hat, isn't it?"

Harry looked at the teachers' table again, and saw Dumbledore rising to give his speech.

"Very best of evenings to you all. Thanks. First off, let me introduce the newest member of our staff. Horace Slughorn. Professor Slughorn, I'm happy to say, has agreed to resume his old post... as Potions Master. Meanwhile, the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts... will be taken by Professor Snape."

Murmurs emmerged from the students. Snape had finally gotten what he wanted. Y/n looked over towards the Slytherin table, most of the students were clapping in excitement, but surprisingly Draco Malfoy gave no reaction.

"As you know, each and every one of you were searched upon your arrival here tonight. And you have the right to know why. Once, there was a young man. Like you, sat in this very hall. Walked this castle's corridors. Slept under it's roof. You see, to all the world, a student like any other. His name: Tom Riddle. Today of course, is known all over the world by another name. Which is why as I stand, looking out upon you all tonight, I'm reminded of a sobering fact. Every day, every hour, this very minute, perhaps... dark forces attempt to penetrate this castle's walls. But in the end, that greatest weapon... is you. Just something to think about. Now off to bed, pip-pip."

"That was cheerful."

When the students were on their way to exit the great hall, and return to their dormitories, Y/n felt a hand gripping her arm.

And when she turned, she found Harry. He had an urgent look in his face, and he was looking at Theo distastefully. Again.

"Can i have a moment?" he asked. Theo stepped forward to take Y/n away, but she wanted to hear what Harry had to say.

She nodded at Nott, saying, "It's fine." And then Nott began to walk away, waving, "Okay, i'll see you at the common room."

"There's something wrong," Harry said almost immediately after Nott was out of sight.

Y/n crossed her arms and scoffed. "With? You? Of course there is."

"No, Nott."

"Oh my God, Harry-"

He placed both of his hands on her shoulder, and gave her a little shake. "Listen to me," he demanded.

Y/n rolled her eyes. "What?"

"He's not who you think he is."

"Well, i'm sorry that he's been nothing but good to me, something that you couldn't do."

"Nothing but good?" Harry could just laugh out loud. "I know he looked into your journal without your permission."

Y/n furrowed her eyebrows. She didn't look too pleased that Harry knew that.

"How did you-"

"Okay, i was stupid, i wasn't aware of my own feelings, you were right, everything you said about me," he said. He was determined to make her believe him. "But do you really trust this guy? You know who he is."

Y/n looked down. Truth was, she didn't know. After Theo looked into her belongings like that, she realized that she didn't really know who he was.

They'd been friends, but not close. Y/n tend to avoid Theo's crowd. And now she didn't know why she let him in so easily. Was she just that desperate?

"See?" Harry said. "You're questioning it."

"You don't know what i'm thinking about."

"I think i do," he raised an eyebrow. "You saw him with Malfoy at that dingey little alley, and i heard them talking about you."

"About me?"

"Draco was the one who told Theo to snoop into your stuff, and he did. He said he felt guilty, so he told you. Why would Draco Malfoy tell him to do that?"

"And this?" Harry pointed to his nose. "They did it. Nott and Malfoy."

"Theo did that to you?" Y/n approached Harry, and placed a hand on his face. "Oh God - i didn't know he would-"

She paused when she realized how close they were, and she even had her hand on him.

Harry hadn't felt this way in forever. And he missed this feeling.

Slowly, Y/n backed away.

"There's something that they're hiding," Y/n mumbled. But Harry heard it.

"Yes. I saw them get initiated as death eaters. Hermione did, Ron did. And we're going to caught them in the act," he seemed so eager as he said it. "Are you with me on this one?"

Y/n was unsure. Then again, Harry wasn't looking very good right now either. He could be just manufacturing this whole story, and Theo wasn't like how she suspected he was.

Harry sensed her doubt.

"Trust me, Y/n," he said sincerely. "This is not my poor attempt on snatching you from him. I'm telling you the truth because you deserve it."

"You better not lie, Harry," Y/n sighed. "Because if you're lying, i'm not going to even breathe the same air as you again."

"And if i'm telling the truth, and my theory's right about them being death eaters?"

"Then i'd never breathe the same air as Theo again."