forty-two

The group made time to visit Fred and George's joke shop before going to school. Y/n thought the place was chaotic, in a good way. It was the only bright place in diagon alley, everything else are just dark, closed, turning into dust.

She knew they could build this whole thing because of Harry, and she remembered how much she admired him for giving them his prize money. But then again, he didn't want to compete in the tournament at all in the first place, so he probably didn't want the money as much.

Theo had been trying to make himself fit in. For her. He wanted to be a part of the group, even though that would take some time.

He'd been talking with Fred and George the whole time they were there, he seemed to be a fan of them, and everything they did at school. He even referred to their dramatic exit from Hogwarts as the grand departure. And of course, the twins liked nothing more than a yes-man.

Hermione, Ginny, and Y/n were examining a bubbly pink bottled liquid, when the twins came over to them.

"Hello, ladies," they both said in unison. George raised his eyebrows teasingly. "Love potions, eh?" he said.

"They really do work," said Fred, and then he pointed to Hermione and Y/n. "Well, you two have got Hogwarts' studs so you don't really need it."

"And you," George smirked at Ginny, "The way we heard you, sis... You're doing just fine on your own."

"Meaning?

"Are you not currently dating Dean Thomas?"

"It's none of your business."

"Really, Gin?" Y/n grinned, "Oh my gosh, that's wonderful! I bet–"

Y/n couldn't finish her sentence. Theo had took her arm and whispered to her, "Hey, i need to talk to you."

She smiled at her friends before walking away with him, to somewhere a little more private. "What's up?" she asked. Y/n was a bit worried to see Theo like that, he seemed really nervous.

"Thia may be not the right time and place to tell you, but i wanted you to know before we get to school, and i don't think we have long enough time before we board the train," he sighed.

"What is it?"

"I know you and Harry were fake dating."

Y/n raised her eyebrows. How'd he know? She certainly didn't tell him. Ben swore he'd never tell anyone, Hermione too. And besides, Hermione was not close enough to Theo to be gossiping with him.

So did Harry tell him? But why would he?

"Did he tell you?" Y/n asked.

Theo fiddled with his fingers, looking down. He didn't dare to see her eyes.

"Uh, no," he gulped. "I kind of looked into your journal before you guys even "broke up.""

Y/n's eyebrows furrowed, and she crossed her arms. Theo knew she'd get upset.

"You snooped through my stuff?" Y/n said, "Theo, you can't do that."

"I know," he nodded. "I'm sorry."

"That's my privacy, Theo, and no one even knows about it, not even JJ."

"I know–"

"I mean – that's just – that's just low. Why would you do that?"

"I was trying to – i don't know, get close to you, and get to know you more?"

"Well, you could've asked me stuff! Start a conversation like a normal person would," she exclaimed. And then she looked at him. He seemed sorry, and he seemed to have regretted it. But still. "I don't know how to feel about this."

"You didn't want me to know about you and him?" Theo finally looked up.

"No, i was going to tell you eventually, but it's the fact that you invaded my privacy before we even got close that's bothering me," Y/n was throwing words so quickly at him – and when she stopped, she let out a sigh, placing her hand over her eyes.

"I'm really sorry, i know i was wrong," he apologized again, trying to take her hand, but Y/n shook it away.

"Can you just–" she said, and Theo got the message. "You want me to go?" he asked.

"I'll see you at school, okay?" said Y/n, closing her eyes. "Okay."

He walked out from the shop, and Y/n approached Ron, who was walking down from the stairs.

"Come on, let's go," said Ron as he took her hand. Confused, Y/n asked, "Go? Go where?"

"Can you just walk with us?" he requested, "Hermione, Harry, and i? It's been a while, Y/n."

He was right. It had been a while, and even though she hated to admit it, she missed the four of them together. Harry included.

"Okay," Y/n agreed, and they walked out with Harry and Hermione.

"How are Fred and George doing it?" said Hermione, as they walked through the dark diagon alley. "Half the alley's closed down.

"Fred reckons people need a laugh these days," said Ron.

"I reckon he's right," added Harry.

As they walked further, they saw Narcissa Malfoy, Draco Malfoy, and.. Theodore Nott, walking into a dark alley way, and it seemed like they were being very careful, heading to borgin and burkes.

"Is it me or do Draco and Mummy look like two people who don't want to be followed?" Ron said, eyeing them. All dressed in black.

"Is that Theo?" Hermione pointed out. It was no doubt, that was Theo. Y/n could tell. His dark fluffy hair was plopping around, and he still had Y/n's bright red scrunchie on his wrist, contrary to their whole dark theme.

"Oh, that's your boyfriend," Harry commented, pointing at him as he bumped Y/n's shoulder.

"I'm well aware," she said, squinting her eyes to get a better look.

"What's he doing?" Ron asked.

Harry then sneaked forward, and whispered, "Let's go."

But Y/n didn't follow them. She didn't want to see something she might regret. No. This relationship couldn't fail too.

"You guys go ahead," she said, walking away.

"Wait – no – Y/n, you have to see this!" Harry tried to call out to her, but Hermione held him back. "Let her be, Harry."

➽───────────────❥

Harry was trying to convince Ron and Hermione that Theodore Nott and Draco Malfoy were bad news. But still, they didn't seem to believe him. Even though they saw those two with their own eyes.

Harry was convinced it was an initiation. He was convinced they were death eaters. And he was so tired of them thinking he was just bluffing, or didn't know what he was talking about.

But the thing he hated most was how much Y/n trusted Nott. He didn't deserve her trust, and he'd prove it.

Harry took his invisibility cloak and wrapped it around himself. Luckily, it didn't took him long to find Theodore Nott and Draco Malfoy. They were arguing, and Harry could hear bits of their conversation.

"This is your fault, Draco," said Nott, pointing his finger at Malfoy.

"How is it my fault?" Malfoy asked angrily.

"You were the one who told me to snoop into her journal."

Harry knew it. They were working together. Death eaters. No good death eaters.

"Yeah, but you were the one who told her!" Malfoy spat. "Are you dumb?"

"I felt really guilty, i–" Nott was tugging on his hair, but then Malfoy shushed him. "Stop," he said warningly.

"What?"

"Someone's listening."