83. Heartbreak - Beautiful Patience

This chapter took me wayyyy too long to write, edit and post and I'm sorry. Life has been so so hectic for me lately! I have too many responsibilities that I sometimes struggle to keep up with unfortunately. Alhamdulillah always. ❤️
Please do keep me in your du'a's 🥰

- KING'S POV -

"I need you to answer." I croaked, my brain not being able to keep up with the erratic pounding of my heart. I felt like my airways were clogging up. She parted her lips and looked completely nervous, much like me, but once she looked at me, she swallowed deeply, nodding her head and clutching the phone tightly in her fingers. She knew I needed her and she knew that she had to be strong for me in this situation.

"What's going on?" Beth wondered aloud, looking at A'ishah and I as she also rounded the couch to come closer.

Her question was left unanswered as A'ishah mumbled a quick Du'a before sliding her thumb along the bottom of the screen, taking the phone to her ear. I pulled it away quickly and put it on speaker before pacing the room with my fingers in my hair.

"Hello?" She spoke, holding the phone in both her hands while looking up at me in distress. She was deathly afraid of what the person on the other line might say. Afraid for me.

"Good evening, my name is Kelsey. I'm calling from the palliative care unit at St. George's Hospital. Can I speak to Mr Patterson, please?" The voice was low and steady, but apprehensive at the same time. There wasn't any chirpiness to it like they usually had when calling.

"I am his wife A'ishah. He can hear you right now, but my name should be on the contacts list anyway." A'ishah spoke, she closed her eyes for a second too long and I assumed she was making du'a once again.

I was making multiple in my head. Over and over.

"Oh, yes, I can see that." The nurse breathed in and exhaled softly. "I am so sorry to be making this call, but Lisa's condition has deteriorated significantly over the last few hours. We thought she was having a nap around 2pm, but she hasn't woken up since. She is in a deep state of unconsciousness, and her body is unresponsive to all external stimuli."

I felt my stomach churning and I leant over, my hands on my knees as I shut my eyes. This could not be happening. Not now.

She was my sanity in all my youth. The only figure that I could trust with all my being, and no matter what I had learnt about her through my dad, Linda and Greg, it would never ever be able to change how important she was to me.

She was having a grandchild, and she was so close, so, so close to meeting our baby.

I dropped to my knees, pressing the heels of my palm into my eyes and clenching my jaw.

I wanted to ask why. Why her? Why now? But I didn't.

QadrAllah wa Masha fa'al.

It is always the decree of Allah - and what He decreed has happened.

- A'ISHAH'S POV -

He was crumbling. He was crumbling right in front of my eyes and despite holding a phone conversation with the nurse on the other end of the line, the only thing I could think about was how on earth I would be able to console him.

He dropped to his knees, bent over with his hands over his eyes, head down, breathing deeply and my heart split in two at his state. I felt a jab to my abdomen that almost felt like our baby was witnessing this entire thing as well, but I knew it was a stress reaction. No matter how hard it was, I had to calm myself down for the safety of our baby.