37: Ex- The Mercy of Allah SWT

Video in the media section x

One week later...

- KING'S POV -

It had been a week since Walter's janazah.

Attending the janazah felt like a sense of closure in a way. Knowing that he was now put to rest gave me a little bit of ease and by the time I got back home to Aishah after the burial, even she could tell that I was feeling a bit better.

Slowly we stopped talking about Walter. The first few days were a constant reminder of him as everyone would speak of his death, but now, it was basically over. People were back to their routine daily lives.

Aishah had suggested that I go back to work on the third day because she thought it would be better for me to have my mind elsewhere and so that was what I did.

Ahmad and I had contacted Walter's father, telling him of Walter's death.

'That's life, son. Babies are born, people die." He had said with not an ounce of sadness in his voice.

It frustrated me to no end and I felt anger overcome my senses but I didn't say anything.

Walter would be rewarded for that trial also.

Despite his parents' behavior towards him, I knew how much he respected them. Every time I argued with my dad and called him afterwards to vent, he would tell me to calm down and go apologise for there was no benefit in shouting at your parents no matter how bad they were.

"I'm going to teach you how to drive." I spoke up, looking at A'ishah with a smile. Her eyes widened as she continued chopping the potatoes on the chopping board.

"No thank you. I'm fine with you being my personal chauffeur."

I shook my head. "I won't always be home to take you where you need to go and I am adamant on not letting you take the bus." I told her.

She huffed in annoyance.

"Even my own dad and brother used to let me take the bus."

"Well your own husband does not. Get over it." I told her, standing up off the couch and walking to the bench, taking a seat on one of the stools instead. "Need help with anything?" I asked her, watching her work.

She shook her head. "No thanks."

I nodded. "We also have to visit mum tomorrow. We didn't go last Friday." I told her.

She nodded. "I know. I did call and tell her."

"You did?" I said in surprise.

She nodded again. "I just didn't want her to feel upset that we didn't show up or to think we had forgotten."

"You're amazing. Thank you." I told her, leaning over to tuck a strand of hair behind her ear.

She blushed a deep red, looking down at the potatoes with a smile on her face.

I shook my head, sitting and watching her before my dhuhr reminder went off on my phone.

"30 minutes till dhuhr. I'll be back soon and then we'll leave, yeah?" I told her and she nodded, telling me she'd be finished and ready by the time I came back.

I went to the masjid, parking a few blocks away and walking the rest of the way for extra reward, especially during this Ramadan month.

It was so shocking that we were already reaching the end of the month. Tomorrow I would be going into itikaaf inshaaAllah.