50: Aleena - Uthman ibn Affan RA

Suratul Yusuf in the media section ❤️
[By Allah, the story of 'Uthman ibn Affan RA took me close to three hours to complete. Please read it and don't skip over it. JazakAllahu khayr.]

- KING'S POV -

"King," I heard between my snores. I groaned and lifted my head off the pillow, turning it around to look at A'ishah. "What's wrong?" I asked her through half closed eyes.

"Your phone is vibrating." She told me, making me turn my head back to look at my bedside table where my phone was flashing. I picked it up, turning it around and seeing the hospital number on the screen.

I sobered up quite quickly from my sleep, throwing my legs off the bed and sitting up on the corner in a rush, answering the call while rubbing my eyes.

How had I forgotten that my mothers results were going to come out today?!

"Hello?" I answered.

"Mr. Patterson, good afternoon. I am calling in regards to your mother's blood, urine and biopsy results. I take you are aware of what our assumption was." The man spoke on the other end. His voice wasn't very chippy and that fact alone sent a chill down my spine.

I took a deep breath. "Yes, yes, I am. Go on. I'm listening." I spoke as A'ishah came and sat next to me cautiously.

"Unfortunately, our assumptions were proven correct. You mother has caught an infection from her fracture last week - namely osteomyelitis."

"No." I mumbled, feeling my body go limp.

"I am so sorry to be giving you this information, Mr Patterson, but I need you to know that each and every case is different. Not all cases end badly and we are very well prepared to help your mother. We are hopeful that she will recover through our IV antibiotic process. We'll start her first sachet at 3pm today." He said.

I pulled the phone away from my ear and saw that it was midday already. The screen was blurred and I only now realised that I had tears in my eyes.

I wasn't dumb. After the nurse had told me their worries, I had spent multiple hours researching the infection. People who had diabetes were prone to chronic osteomyelitis. My mother was a diabetic. She was old and frail.

I knew that if the IV treatment wasn't enough to rid of the infection, amputation may be the only option left as the infection would cause loss of blood supply to the effected bone. Even then, I had read that most people wouldn't recover. After one limb was amputated, the open surgical wound would be prone to the same infection and it would continue to spread.

"I'll be there." I mumbled numbly, hanging up before he said anything else. I put my phone on the bedside table once again and looked at A'ishah's face. She had her eyebrows raised and tears in her eyes.

I nodded softly to confirm and she took in a breath, getting off the bed and taking her fingers through her hair.

I looked down, leaning my elbows on my knees and holding my head in my hands.

I couldn't catch a break.

After having a few minutes to myself, I got up to get ready. "I'm going to the hospital." I notified as I walked to the closet, passing A'ishah, holding the hem of my shirt and peeling it off my body.