45: Bruises

Short 2-minute video in the media section.

- A'ISHAH'S POV -

After getting all the ingredients I needed to buy from the supermarket, I walked to the elevator and went up to the third floor of the centre where the lingerie store was apparently located.

I saw it right across me as soon as I stepped out of the elevator as if it was calling my name. Jheeze, it was bright as day in there!

Walking into a store as a niqabi had never been so awkward. Alhamdulillah there weren't any men in there, so that was an advantage, but I didn't miss the slight glances the coworkers and customers gave me as soon as I passed the threshold.

Also, why did the store have to be filled with so much bright lighting!? Yes, it made the outfits, if you could even call them that, look much better, but I also felt like everyone on the entire third floor could see me entering the spotlight.

Ugh, this was going to be a disaster.

"Hi, can I assist you today?" One of the workers approached me with a smile, her hands joined in front of her. Their outfits weren't revealing, although tight. They were wearing black button ups which clung to them and black pencil skirts that reached their knees with identical red lanyards around their neck.

I wished to feign confidence so as to not double my embarrassment by stuttering, but unfortunately I had no idea what to even ask her so I had to expose myself. "Yeah, hi." I spoke timidly. "I am not sure exactly what model I am looking for." I spoke, taking a pause to breathe, but she cut me off before I could continue.

"No worries, love! I can help you out." She grinned, gesturing for me to walk further into the store.

It wasn't very crowded. Two workers and three customers, one of whom was very confidently strutting around looking at all the racks and models whilst the other was speaking to the cashier and making a purchase.

"Okay, so would you like something very revealing, or something a bit more covered?" She asked and I chose the latter - covered in a lingerie store was still revealing in my books.

"Any colours in mind?" She asked as she nodded at my first statement, leading the way to the back of the store. Thank God.

"Um, yeah." I trailed off in shame as I lowered my head. I couldn't help but release a laugh at my misfortune right now.

Oh, the things I do for you, King.

"Girl, you don't have to be embarrassed." She chuckled, giving me the sweetest smile. "I have a Muslim friend, she doesn't cover her face, but she wears a scarf and she gets discounts from me every week." She laughed out loudly, making me relax quite a bit.

At least I knew she wasn't judging me.

"That makes me feel a lot better." I chuckled. "Red." I spoke after she grinned at me. "My husband requested red."

"Well, your husband has good taste then." She chuckled before going up to one of the circular hangers and spinning it before finding a bright red one piece made of lace.

"I feel like this is perfect. It isn't transparent, so it'll give you that extra confidence and boost to wear it comfortably, it has straps right here," she pointed at the thin straps. "So they will cover some of your mid-riff. Your legs will be bear." She chuckled. "Unfortunately we don't sell anything that covers the legs. The best part, it comes with a matching silk robe which reaches just below the backside to cover the exposed areas." She explained, and the whole time, I felt myself get more and more red beneath my niqab.