52: Sister - The Reality of Life

Media video - please watch it!

Celebrating New Years is not part of Islam x

Over 140 comments on the last chapter! Let's beat it for this chapter 😝

- KING'S POV -

"There was a reason as to why I organised this dinner." My dad finally spoke and at this point, my heart hammered in my chest as I felt A'ishah tense right beside me.

. . .

"What is it?" I asked, the frustration I felt coming through in my voice. I couldn't handle the silence any longer.

After stating that there was in fact a reason as to why he had invited A'ishah and I to this dinner, which I hadn't doubted for a second since the beginning, he had zipped his mouth.

I knew there had to be a reason behind all of this. There was absolutely no way my dad had a change of heart.

He stared at the ground, his jaw clenched tightly and I felt like punching him to get him to speak. He was making me feel on edge, and I couldn't control the erratic beating of my heart.

"Go on." Nadia coaxed him and after a deep clearing of his throat, he began speaking. Finally.

"Almost a month ago, someone approached me at work. She insisted she had very important documents to show me and I blew her off and told her to get an appointment. An hour later my receptionist said there was someone adamant on seeing me and when I realised it was her, I got security to escort her out. Two weeks ago, she came with an appointment this time. Once I let her into my room, she took out a letter. A letter that her mother had written." He said, before pausing and shaking his head slightly. At this point, I assumed I knew what he was going to say and I held my breath, waiting for the words to come out of his mouth. "It claimed that I was her father."

My blood ran cold and my grip on A'ishah's hand loosened as I stared at him, lips parted, eyes wide.

No way.

Surely there had to be a mistake.

"I laughed in her face and told her thar it was clearly a lie. She screamed and said she wasn't lying. When she caused a commotion, I made security escort her out again, but she dropped her number on a piece of paper in my office before they did. The guilt was eating at me and a week ago I messaged her to come to the GP so she could give a blood sample." He paused, taking a deep breath and shaking his head. "I just had to know." He explained, making me throw my head back to look at the ceiling.

It was true. It must have been. There was no other reason why he would be explaining this to me right now, unless it had already been confirmed.

"We did the DNA test and it was a match." He muttered, making me look back at him.

I had no idea what to even say.

There were so many different thoughts and emotions coursing through my mind and body right now that I couldn't keep up with any of them.

All these years I had always had a small inkling of a doubt in my mind that perhaps somewhere out there I had a sibling, but once I had turned 16 I stopped entertaining the idea. I could barely get by myself, let alone having the burden of a sibling on my shoulders as well.

Turns out, all this time, I did have one.

Well, she wasn't really a sibling. She was the child of my father and a woman who he had cheated on my mother with. Why should I care about their child?