Four: Broken Strings For A Broken Heart

We are back with the original storyline Wei Wuxian's third life

The songs name is 不染 (電視劇《香蜜沉沉燼如霜》主題曲)

"Not Strained" by Mao Buyi

Classes started up in Cloud Recesses, and it all began with the greeting ceremony. Wei Wuxian woke up before his siblings, to follow behind them to the dining hall where all the Lan Disciples and Guest disciples eat in peace.

Wei Wuxian followed this practice, not sparing a glance to his siblings, but to the bowl of congee that was placed in front of him. When the third bell rang throughout the hall, the Guest disciples shuffled to their feet and made their way to the Orchid room where they all held their three greeting bows to the Grandmaster of Lan Gusu, Lan Qiren.

Wei Wuxian never seemed to get along with that old mountain goat nor his nephews. He didn't pay any mind to them, instead, kept to himself. He only spoke when spoken to, something he mastered back in Lotus Pier and something that his siblings had grown used to.

Wei Wuxian watched idly as all the heirs from their sect started to present their gifts to Grandmaster Lan. When it came to Yunmeng Jiang's turn, Wei Wuxian got up, shot up his arm that was holding Suibian, and blocked his brother's path, causing Jiang Cheng to be confused and that confusion quickly turned to anger. It was quickly deflated when the door to the classroom burst open, and the Wens came marching in as if they owned the place. Jiang Cheng's anger rose again. Expecting his brother wanting to do something about this, he turned to Wei Wuxian, opening his mouth but found the male taking his seat again, shocking him.

He knew if his brother had decided to not take matters into his own hands, then it must be for a good reason. He followed Wei Wuxian's lead and Jiang Cheng took his seat, but couldn't help blocking their shijie's view from the Wens in case a fight were to break out. He quickly realized that no fights had broken out, instead, the matter was dealt with great ease after the young Lady, Wen Qing, and her brother, young Master Wen Ning, stopped their cousin from acting like an idiot.

After Wen Qing offered their gift, Lan Xichen asked Second Young Master Wen Chao to leave by morning for causing a ruckus in the room where it was supposed to be quiet and peaceful, before dismissing them all to the Guest rooms.

When they left, Wei Wuxian rose again and motions for Jiang Cheng to do the same, and they offered their gift without any trouble, just a little delayed from the Wens. After the ceremony was performed, they were all excused to enjoy the rest of their day in their room or on the grounds, as it is prohibited to leave Cloud Recesses on their first day. It didn't bother anyone since they were all still tired from the trip the day before. Jiang Yanli decided that the weather was perfect for a picnic, inviting her brothers and Young Master Nie to the forest. She even invited the servant that trailed behind Nie Huaisang, who she later learned that his name was Meng Yao. Though, it was Wei Wuxian who had decided for him, telling the servant that it was best to have a meal before he left for Qinghe Nie.

In the forest, Wei Wuxian picked a spot by the lake where they could see the waterfall. Not far from where he was, he could see Jiang Cheng setting the blanket for their sister. Meng Yao helped Jiang Yanli unpack everything for their picnic. Sitting on a large rock close to the waterfall, Wei Wuxian started to whittle a bamboo stick to make a flute for Young Master Nie. After he finished, Wei Wuxian showed him how to hold the instrument in his hands and played a few notes with the help of Chenqing.

After a few failed and horrible screeching notes, Nie Huaisang huffs and slips the flute in his belt.

Nie Huaisang whines, "My fingers already hurt, Young Master Wei. May you please play a song while I rest my fingers for a moment?"