Twenty-Five: Don't Act So Useless

How was everyone's summer?

The entire Nie clan was awake in the early morning hours. The students were supposed to be practicing their saber techniques, but they were all engrossed in observing a man practicing his own sword techniques on the other side of the field. Wei Wuxian continued to dance around and swing suibian in coronation with his feet as he lived in his own small world, paying no attention to anyone.

Wei Wuxian didn't seem to notice the Nie disciples surrounding him until Nie Mingjue emerged from the Grand Hall with his saber in hand, ready to lead his men into practice this morning. Wei Wuxian landed on his feet after flipping in the air and swung his sword down on what appeared to be an invisible neck that wasn't there, before he finally took notice of the Nie disciples surrounding him and wondered how in the hell did he never notice them beforehand?

His disciples allowing him to pass, Nie Mingjie rushes past them. The crowd slowly dispersed and diminished in size. Few of Nie Mingjue's more senior disciples, along with Wei Wuxian, were the only ones still present. Surbian was being cleaned and returned to its helt.

Wei Wuxian bows and says, "My apologies, Sect. Leader Nie, I did not know your disciples were in my audience instead of carrying out their drills."

In an effort to get the other man to raise his head, Nie Mingjue shakes his head and raises a hand. He admonishes, "Besides the fact that you were so absorbed into your own forms merely demonstrates how excellent you are with a sword, my disciples could learn a few things from you. It's not your fault."

Wei Wuxian, "I thank you for your compliment," he says with a genuine smile.

Nie Mingjue barked out orders, telling his disciples to start their training before turning his attention back to Wei Wuxina, Nie Mingjue, "Would you accompany me on a walk, Young Master Wei." he asked.

Wei Wuxian nods and makes a hand signal for Nie Mingjue to take the lead. When they were striding side by side, Nie Mingjue enquired, "Are you able to assist my brother in genuinely training? To be completely honest, I don't care about his interests or his passion for art. He just knows how to use a paintbrush, so I only want him to be able to defend himself."

Wuxian Wei, "It would be a pleasure to assist Brother Huaisang, but I am also concerned about myself because I don't think the saber is the greatest option for him."

Mingjue Nie He turns to the other man and says, "But you made something to help him, to defend him from his saber."

Wei Wuxian "Yes, I did, but your brother's core is different from mine and yours. He is more vulnerable than we are. To be completely honest, even with the medalin, he might experience qi destruction and won't survive it."

Heavily sighing, Nie Mingjue complains, "I should have had him pick up his foolish saber a long time ago, then perhaps he wouldn't be so useless with it."

After taking a few steps forward, Nie Mingjue stops and turns to face Wei Wuxian after Wei Wuxian halts in his tracks. "Your brother is many things, Sect. Leader Nie, but useless is not one of them." says Wei Wuxian.

Mingjue Nie "How can you explain my brother's attitude of not wanting to study then?" He brings Wei Wuxian to task "If I were to pass away tonight and he were to replace me as Sect. Leader, he wouldn't even be successful! Except for his stupid eye-catching flair for nice things, he is completely useless. "

"You have no idea who your brother is, don't you," Wei Wuxian glares at him. "All you see is a failure in what you want him to succeed in, but dismiss all of his other talents as if they weren't there to define your brother," he says, shaking his head.