Nine: Wei Wuxian's Second Life Part Three

In Cloud Recesses in the infirmary on a cot, Wei Wuxian was in a coma after exposing himself with such energy that almost cost him his life. Luckily for them, they had Wen Qing visiting them who right away started to treat him for she is grateful to the only friend who is the most accepting of her baby brother.

At night Jiang Yanli would also stay by her brother's side or help feed and dress him when needed though most of that work was taken by Lan Wangji refusing to leave his fiance's side afraid to miss even a moment of time. Occasionally he would get visits from Lan Xichen and Lan Qiren but both were beyond busy after the events of the Waterborne Abyss.

Lan Wangji would talk to his lover, holding his hand or play their song for the Sleeping Wei Wuxian and this continued for a month and a half, Wen Qing didn't know why he wasn't waking up yet. It was almost like he didn't want to even open his eyes for them. It was strange and it almost broke her heart when she had to break the news to them that this could be all they have of Wei Wuxian, that it might be for the best if they let her slip him a drug and let Wei Wuxian drift into a heavy sleep until he passes on.

Lan Wangji, "DON'T EVEN JOKE ABOUT THIS!" he demands of her.

Wen Qing bows in respect, "I am sorry Second Master Lan, but there isn't anything else I can do from here on out for him. There is a 20% chance that he might never wake again and that chance decreases the longer he is in the coma. It's a cruel existence for anyone to endure just because their loved ones don't want to say goodbye!"

Lan Wangji, "Then save him! YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO SAVE WEI YING!"

Wen Qing, "I CAN'T!" she rages shutting them all up but what shocked them all was the tears in her eyes, "I can't save him and I WANT TOO BUT IT'S OUT OF MY HANDS!"

Wen Ning runs to his sister's side to hug her, "It's okay Jiejie you tried your best, and that all anyone could ask of you." he whispers to her, but everyone heard him.

Lan Xichen, "Young Master Wen is right, You tried your best and we are eternally grateful for your services. Just please understand this is a big decision to take into consideration. All I ask now is give us time to think about this option now."

Wen Qing bows and takes her leave with her brother by his side. Lan Xichen turns his attention to her little brother who was already by Wei Wuxian's side again playing with his hair and letting his finger map out the sleeping boy's face as if to memorize it all.

Lan Xichen, "Lan Wangji."

Lan Wangji, "I don't want to hear it."

Lan Xichen, "Lan Wangji please!"

Lan Wangji, "DON'T!" he hisses.

Lan Xichen, "DIDI PLEASE LISTEN TO REASON FOR A MOMENT!" he begs his brother.

Lan Wangji, "HE'S NOT GONE XIONG-ZONGZHU! WEI YING IS RIGHT HERE! MY SOUL MATE IS RIGHT HERE!"

Lan Xichen couldn't stop his tears as he remembers the Lan's curse. They only love once and here is his little brother being asked to let go of his one and only Soulmate. He took a moment and thought of it as he who was in Lan Wangji's shoes holding on to the small thread of his Soulmates life. Then asked to let them go and let his Soulmate pass on to the afterlife. Could he do it? Could he let go if it was asked of him? Right away when a pain stung in his heart made it clear of his answer for him. No, he couldn't let them go, he would fight tooth to nail to keep them so how dare he ask the same of his little brother?

Lan Xichen looks down in shame. "I'm sorry my Didi, I was only thinking the best for A-Xian. When in truth I know that boy as best as I know you. He wouldn't want us to give up on him either but at the same time he would selflessly ask us not to worry for him."