Twenty-One: Second Life: Love Is Such A Lie In Other's Eyes

Wei Wuxian didn't see Lan Wangji for a long three days. It all started when Lan Wangji was dragged away by his family with the dead Lan Xichen still in his arms. Wei Wuxian couldn't help but feel death glares from the family that once expected him, they now felt nothing but shame to be in his presence. Well, all but the Jiangs and surprisingly, Lan Qiren, who took Wei Wuxian by his arm and tried to pull him in a separate direction, but Wei Wuxian pulled back, taking a talisman from his sleeve and walked to the back of the mountain where the water meets the river and tosses it on the surface of the water, watching it float there, not sinking or dissolving. With another talisman in his other hand that was identical to the one in the water, Wei Wuxian activated them and with his free hand, Wei Wuxian started to wave his hand in a circle in front of them. In the water, the river did the same motion as Wei Wuxian, rising higher and higher looking like a tornado of water hovering in the air.

Backing away from the river, the water followed him to the burning buildings, and in the middle of all the buildings that were on fire, Wei Wuxian started to perform what seemed to be a dance, causing all the buildings to be hit with water and putting the fire out. When it seemed to be put out of the fire, Wei Wuxian tossed the water in the air, causing it to sprinkle around them like rain washing the smoke out of the air, and behind it all was the rising sun to another beautiful day.

The Jiangs and Lans witnessed this and were in awe. Lan Qiren smiled, pleased with the show of Wei Wuxian’s genius power. After the fire was taken care of, Wei Wuxian got started on helping the Lans with their death. Though instead of carrying them one by one and burning them, Wei Wuxian once again raised them and gave the Lans the chance to say goodbye to their loved ones.

It almost broke Wei Wuxian when he witnessed a mother with two children hugging one of the dead, crying for her lost husband, and the children not understanding why their mother was sobbing, when their father was right in front of them. When it seemed all said their goodbyes,  Wei Wuxian commanded them to gather together and he released them, causing their bodies to fade away into ash, leaving their souls and, for a moment, the Lans saw their loved one’s spirits smiling and waving goodbye to them before they faded in the sunlight.

Wei Wuxian did the same to the Wens and once they saw their spirits, they looked scared and lost but Wei Wuxian gave them the push they needed to go where they were needed to, and one by one, they also disappeared. The last two remaining was a young looking Wen Xu who looked to be in his teens, holding a toddler version Wen Chao in his arms. They smiled at Wei Wuxian and Wen Xu bowed to him before taking his brother and they both disappeared together.

Some of the Lan came up to Wei Wuxian asking where their loved ones went, and Wei Wuxian told them where they belong after death. He promised them he would help make tablets for the fallen Lan’s so they could be put in the ancestry hall.

The day was long of cleaning and restoring, and Wei Wuxian wouldn't let anyone pull him away from helping the servants and disciples. Lan Qiren gave up on trying to pull Wei Wuxian away, but was soon able to when the servants were passing out food, and Nie Mingjue arrived after he heard what happened to the Lans. 

Don’t get the man wrong, when he heard what happened to the Jiangs he also wanted to help, but the Jiang went into hiding and no one was even sure if they were alive. Now, here he was, ready to do anything for his friend, to find him a stone casket being cremated and with his little brother on his knees dressed in mourning robes waiting patiently and obediently.

Nie Mingjue used to tease Lan Xichen how his clan always dressed in mourning clothes, but this time as he watched his oldest friend's brother silently cry over Lan Xichen in mourning robes, he can now clearly see the differences. Stealing the pillow next to Lan Wangi, Nie Mingjue kneels next to the young man and lit an incense for Lan Xichen before bowing three times before turning to Lan Wangji.