Twenty-Three: Second Life: Broken Strings on a Shattered Guqin

It didn't take long for Wei Wuxian and Fei Huaguang to defeat the monster and complete the night-hunt. With Wei Wuxian trapping the ghoul and Fei Huaguang delivering the deadly blow, their job they set out to do was far too easy for one another, however they shared a stare for accomplishing this with such ease.

Setting the ghouls' corpses ablaze to make sure no one came stumbling upon it, Wei Wuxian stood there at the flames with a smile on his lips. Fei Huaguang couldn't help but to stare at the rare beauty that was Wei Wuxian, and the flames only intensified his beauty. He couldn't help nor stop himself, Fei Huaguang marched up to Wei Wuxian like a man on a mission. He grabbed Wei Wuxian by his wrist, pulled him up close and dipped the younger man and stole another breathtaking kiss.

Wei Wuxian was shocked, but only for a moment before he closed his eyes and pulled his wrist free from Fei Huaguang's grasp, only to return both arms to the other man willingly by wrapping them around him. They stayed there together no not only for a moment, but for what felt like an eternity, but it was what felt to be right to share between them.

Of course a third party would disagree, as he came out from the shadows, with a cold expression and death glares to serve out to one single man and it wasn't Wei Wuxian. Lan Wangji cleared his throat and it caught the attention of both of the other males and Wei Wuxian was stunned silent to find it was ex-fiance.

Fei Huaguang, "Ah Sect. Leader Lan Wangji, we apologize if we stole your prize, we did not know another Sect. was hot on their trail other than us." he said first deciding to hopefully break the chill ice between them.

However his words only pissed Lan Wangji off even more, and before either Wei Wuxian, and Fei Huaguang could blink, Lan Wangji charged forward and delivered a harsh bunch to the face at Fei Huaguang causing the him to fly backwards and hit a nearby tree.

Wei Wuxian was finally snapped out of his silence to step in between both of them when he saw Lan Wangi still ready to charge at the already down male. "That's enough, Lan Zhan!!!" Wei Wuxian ordered him to stop.

Lan Wangji did listen but was still seething from rage, and not wanting to be done with Fei Huaguang, but the look in Wei Wuxian's eyes told him to not even try him, and Lan Wangji knew better than going against Wei Wuxian, but his anger didn't subsides. Instead he reached out to take a hold of Wei Wuxian's wrist, and said, "Come back to Gusu with me."

Wei Wuxian gasps, remembering his husband once told him this in his last life. Back then Wei Wuxian believed it was to take him back for punishment, but now Wei Wuxian could read this man the best, and knew it was to protect him, and perhaps also because he knows this now living, yet younger version of his husband is known to be possessive. Wei Wuxian could see the sadness and yet, deep love in Lan Wangji's eyes even if his face was cold. Though everything was different, if Wei Wuxian went back with Lan Wangji, he knows his elders will force them in seclusion away from one another as they have done to Lan Wangji's parents, and Wei Wuxian couldn't do that.

If Wei Wuxian couldn't be with Lan Wangji in this life, then he would rather be on separate ends of the world as it would be easier for his heart to heal. He knew Lan Wangji would never move on from Wei Wuxian, but why couldn't Wei Wuxian? He wasn't the one who broke the engagement between them, and caused the entire cultivation world to be against him, it was Lan Wangji who did that, so why can't Wei Wuxian try and find happiness?

Wei Wuxian, "I can't." he whispers, pulling his arm free from Lan Wangji's grasp. "I can't be with you anymore, Lan Zhan, here or there in Cloud Recesses, I have to let you go, so please let me go too."

These words broke Lan Wangji, his heart shattered, but he had no else to blame but himself. What could he do to convince this man to stay with him? The answer was nothing, so he let Wei Wuxian's arm go and took a step back from Wei Wuxian. Fei Huaguang finally got back to his feet, and came behind Wei Wuxian. Wei Wuxian wrapped his own arms around himself to give himself some comfort and both other males noticed this. As much as Lan Wangji wanted to step up and be the one to comfort him, he couldn't and had to watch Fei Huaguang place comforting hands on Wei Wuxian's shoulders. It hurts to watch.