Twenty-Four: A Friend In Every Life

“Young Master?” a man called to the young man on his boat who seemed to be taking rest. “Young Master, we reach the shore.”

Wei Wuxian raises his head, looking past the veil on his sun hat to see the small boats docks. He gets up and brushes his clothes down, making sure they were properly settled before turning to the man he had hitched a ride from, and tossed a jade coin his way which the man caught. The man’s eyes almost popped out of his own head when he saw the coin and was about to confront the Young master he helped, wanting to make sure there wasn't a mistake, but Wei Wuxian was already disappearing into the crowd of the small fishing village.

Not feeling the need to stop, Wei Wuxian decided to continue his journey by foot, not feeling up to teleporting or using suibian to travel. A small smile spread on his face when he thought what it would be like to have a donkey by his side again. It’s been so long since he was able to travel so freely as he is doing now.

In his last life, he was far too busy with other Gusu clans, or on Celestial Mountain. Though he did enjoy that time with Fei Sheng. Wei Wuxian didn’t feel the need for another by his side. Perhaps he will buy a donkey or even let a friend or two, if he runs into any, to join him but for the most part, being able to travel alone sounded like heaven.

However, he wished to visit Qinghe Nie to see Huaisang as he did promise him to visit if he was able to. Deciding that it wasn't far off to Yiling, he might as well visit him. It took him a few days to make it to the borders of Qinghe Nie territory, and a few more to arrive at the Unclean Realm, but once he did, he stayed in the town not far out from the Palace, and sended out anonymous letter to Nie Huaisang, knowing the man will be able to understand it, and to meet him at the tavern where Wei Wuxian waited for him drinking a bottle of wine to himself.

It didn't take long for Nie Huaisang to arrive searching for anyone he might know, and even though Wei Wuxian was dressed in a plain dark blue robes, nothing to flashy, or showy, Nie Huaisang recognize the hat and veil he was wearing and quickly rushed to Wei Wuxian’s side.

Nie Huaisang, “Wei-xiong!” he cheers, catching attention to other neighboring tables.

Wei Wuxian, “Young Master Nie, please keep it down and not draw attention to us.” he scolded the other.

Nie Huaisang claps his hands over his mouth in shame, quite embarrassed with himself for his poor behavior. “My apologies, Young Master Wei.” he mumbles past his hands.

Wei Wuxian sighs before taking his friend by the arm and pulls him down to join him in sitting at the table. “It’s alright, come join me for a drink.”  

Nie Huaisang looked over Wei Wuxian, it was strange to see this man here. The man hardly spared Nie Huaisang a glance during classes back in Cloud Recesses, but to be fair, Wei Wuxian barely gave any looks or glances to even the Jiang siblings, even though they see Wei Wuxian as their brother. “May I ask why you came, Young Master?” Huaisang asked.

Wei Wuxian, “Just wanted to see an old friend I guess.” he answered.

Nie Huaisang, “An old friend?” he questioned, “You couldn't possibly be talking about me are you?”

Wei Wuxian smiled behind his vail, “I am, I don't know why but it feels like I can trust you. That perhaps we were long time friends in another life.”

Nie Huaisang was stunned silent, because he felt the same when he landed eyes on Wei Wuxian. “I feel the same,” he says.

Wei Wuxian looks up to Nie Huaisang, and with the light outside of the window, Nie Huaisang could see Wei Wuxian’s face, and the man was both smiling and crying, it broke Nie Huaisang’s heart.