31 - Loyalty

There was going to be a public execution.

  While setting up your plan with Leon in the city you overheard people gossiping about it. Hoseok insisted on checking it out, and you wanted to as well. You wanted to make sure you could save Claudia in case it was her that was being executed. Taehyung came along as well, he said he wanted to make sure you were safe, but you could tell that he was also worried about the possibility that Claudia was going to be executed. Though they might not have been particularly close, they still treated each other like close friends.

  The three of you wore cloaks to conceal you identities and weapons. Your right hand hovered over the hilt of your sword as you entered the city and made your way to the town square. You kept your heads down and stayed hidden in large crowds to prevent suspicion from any of the many guards patrolling the area.

  You eventually made it to the center of town. There was a makeshift stage where a fountain once was. It seemed as though Philomena planned on making executions a common occurrence since the fountain was demolished. There was a crowd forming around the stage, they all appeared as if they didn't want to be there. You assumed Philomena made the execution mandatory to set an example out of her victim. 

  There was a large man on the stage who was sharpening his sword. Being beheaded was the least cruel method of execution, so at least it confirmed your suspicions that Philomena still had some mercy left in her. But you still couldn't fathom why she would need to do this.

  Hoseok stood to your left, and Taehyung at your right. Their demeanors were ridden with anxiety. They were usually much more confident and stoic, but you noticed them fidgeting.

  The center of the town wasn't too far from the castle and you could see Philomena's silhouette on one of the balconies of the castle. Even from afar you could see her stone cold stare as she watched the scene in the square.

  "The prisoner!" You heard a civilian whisper beside you and the crowd went silent. You turned in the same direction as everyone else and immediately froze.

  Why her of all people?

  Memories flashed through your mind of a beautiful and kind elf who assisted you and partially raised Hoseok. Her once sturdy and comforting appearance had become frail. She was being dragged along in chains and stumbled along, unable to see through her blindfold. Her clothes were dirty and torn and everyone in the crowd was shocked as they had never seen an elf before, or even knew they had existed outside of fairy tales.

  She tripped trying to go up the stairs and she was berated, before being dragged to her feet by one of the guards. The crowd was silent as they realized the gravity of the situation before them. She finally reached the top of the stage and was shoved towards the executioner by one of the guards. She fell forward and hit the ground. 

  Your body tensed as you grabbed the hilt of your sword. Your jaw clenched and as the executioner approached her you took a step forward, about to draw your sword. That's when you felt a hand grab your shoulder before you were pulled into a tight hug.

  "Two deaths is too much for you to witness," Hoseok murmured. His hold on you tightened and you tried to push him away.

  "What do you mean, we can still save her!" You replied. You kept your voice down so you didn't give yourself away.

  "It's too dangerous." He held you even tighter and you felt him lean down to rest his face against the side of your head.

  He wasn't just trying to comfort you. He was comforting himself too.