32 - Deep Blue

You reached the roof of the castle. The wind had picked up, and it felt like if you made one wrong move, you would be swept away. The shell of your sister stood at the roof. The wind blew her long hair violently as you approached. You stumbled as you tried to keep your balance, but your confidence didn't falter.

  "Philomena," you said. Your voice was flat. You were merely a foot away from her. Her back was facing you, and she appeared unarmed. She knew she had lost.

  "It's over." She muttered.

  "It is," you replied, "The question is whether you're willing to right your wrongs."

  "By spending the rest of my life in prison?" She stated, "I'd rather die." She took a step forward.

  "Stop!" You exclaimed. She paused, and you stretched your hand out to her, "Take my hand. You may not be my sister anymore, but you're Mother's daughter. She wouldn't want any of her children to be joining her in death right now."

  She scoffed, "Even if I died, Mother would never accept me."

  "Maybe not now. But if you live, you can change, and then you'll be able to meet her again and apologize for what you've done. She'll forgive you."

  She turned to you. Tears streaming down her face, "You really think she would?"

  You nodded, "I know she would."

  Philomena took your hand, and you pulled her away from the edge, bringing her into your warm embrace, accepting her as part of your family again. Thunder boomed overhead as you noticed the grin on her face as she rested her chin on your shoulder. You should've known.

  She stabbed you in the back again, this time in a much more literal sense.

  You ignored the pain, noticing that you still weren't that far from the ledge of the roof. If this is how you died, then so be it.

  You used the entire force of your body weight to throw yourself off the roof, holding tightly to Philomena.

  "No!" She shrieked and tried shoving you away.

  You held her tighter. If you died, at least you wouldn't be alone. The part of the castle you fell off was above the water. You looked past Philomena's head. The waves were restless because of the incoming storm, but they were still somehow inviting.

  You felt blood gush from the wound in your shoulder. She must've pulled the knife out at the last second.

  You felt strangely at ease. Maybe it was because it was finally over. You would see your mother and father on the other side and finally get to say the words you never got to before they passed. Maybe it was because Leon and Thomas would be there to take care of Sayaria. He was always dependable. Maybe because Taehyung would be there for Leon when he needed help. Or because Seokjin and Jungkook might be able to come to a truce with you gone. Or that Hoseok and Namjoon would be there for each other and rebuild Vraitis. Or maybe it was because Jimin would be there for Claudia once they got married. She really seemed to like him.

  You weren't sure what it was exactly, but you were willing to die here. You realized you hadn't thought about how the others would react.

  Your siblings would be devastated.

  Taehyung might never forgive himself.

  Jimin… you weren't sure how he would react. He might mourn you as a brother-in-law would, or as something more.

  Jungkook trained you to protect yourself. Would he think himself a failure when he found out?

  Hoseok had already witnessed his family die. Would he be able to handle the news of your death as well?