19 - Guilt

Yoongi led you into your tent so he could talk to you about everything that was going on. You both sat on the floor on top of your makeshift bed and you waited for him to begin explaining.

"I just want you to know, that you had no control over any of this, so this isn't your fault," he began.

"I know..." you were lying, you just didn't want him to be worried. You felt incredibly guilty.

"Good," he said, "Okay... well.. this is hard to explain..."

You waited patiently so that he could find the words to explain everything.

"So, you know how the curse is a punishment right?" he continued.

"Yeah,"

"So, our connection, at first, was simply an emotional connection, I could only feel what you were feeling. For example, pain, or sadness. And I would use that to try and help or comfort you. Now it's become a physical connection."

"But why?"

"Well, sirens aren't really allowed to form any friendships, more specifically with the human they're connected to. And the curse is designed to prevent that from happening. When we became... closer... the curse kind of... stepped in you could say, and any wounds that were inflicted upon you became mine instead of yours, and the pain doubles..."

"So... the curse is punishing you because we became friends?"

"Yes,"

"But I'm still confused, why is it that we both retained the injury that I got across my chest,"

"That, I couldn't tell you..." he trailed off.

"Should we stop being friends?"

"What? Why? Do you want to stop being friends?"

"It's just... if we're not friends then you won't be going through as much pain,"

"I'm afraid it won't work like that,"

"So either way you're going to be in twice as much pain because of me?"

"Leggy, for the last time, this isn't your fault."

You stayed quiet and looked down at your hands in your lap.

"Yoongi?"

"Yes?"

"What exactly are you being punished for?"

You looked up at him and he was completely frozen in place. Did you overstep again?

"S-sorry, you don't need to --"

"No, it's fine, I guess you would want to know my faults if I'm supposed to be the one protecting you," he took a deep breath, "I killed my brother,"

You couldn't find the words to respond so you stayed silent. What would you even say to something like that?

"I should probably explain myself..." he continued.

"Uh yeah, that would be nice..."

He just admitted he was a murderer, run.

"My dad was a fisherman when we were growing up and one day he decided to bring us out on his boat with him. I don't know what I was thinking at the time if I'm being honest. All I can recall is that I wanted to play a practical joke on my brother so I snuck up behind him while he was standing by the edge of the boat. It was incredibly stupid on my part, but I shoved a trout that I had just caught in his face while we were on our way back home and he freaked out. He fell off the boat and didn't come up for air. At first, I thought he was just trying to get back at me, so I didn't do anything. But then a minute went by and I realized that he wasn't messing around. By the time I got my father it was already too late."