Chapter 46

Sofia carefully knocked on Lucas's office room, her heart somehow felt uneasy. She waited outside Lucas's door after she knocked three times.

"Enter." The voice that neither warm nor cold rang out. Sofia swallowed silently and pushed open the door.

She found Lucas was sitting on his chair as usual with a languid expression. His indifference caused her pupils to shrink. This lukewarm attitude made her somewhat at a loss. She could only bit her lips as she suddenly had a foreboding.

However, as soon as that thought entered her head, she shook it off. Wishing that the worst possible scenario in her head won't happen.

"You called me, Sir?" Sofia asked, she didn't dare to sit without him telling her to. She didn't know what to do.

"Yes," Lucas nodded without looking up. Then, he gestured with his hand. "Sit."

Sofia felt slightly better. This way, her nervousness wouldn't be easily noticed.

"You may not expect this when I called you here." Lucas started. "But, I must apologize first, Miss ... Dawson. The company can no longer keep you here."

Sofia's face paled at that. She stared in disbelief at the man in front of her. She couldn't comprehend what she did wrong to make him dissatisfied. He was hard to please, but her work had been decent all this time. She rarely made mistakes. Could it be...?

Sofia's pupil constricted as a complicated emotion flashed across her eyes. She dared herself to ask. "What could be the reason, Sir?"

Sofia bit her lip. "I will work harder and correct my mistake if Sir Hernandez is willing to give me second chance."

Lucas was silent. He didn't speak, however, his gaze lingered on Sofia's face for a while. Sofia, being stared at so blatantly by Lucas, instead of feeling shy, she was getting more anxious.

"Is your hair being dyed?" Lucas wasn't exactly looking at Sofia's face. To be exact, he was looking at her hair.

Sofia was startled. She couldn't muster any courage to answer. She gritted her teeth and finally admitted it. "Y-yes, Sir. My real hair color is black."

Lucas put his hand on his chin, seemingly pondering about something. Sofia was practically an idiot if she didn't know what was happening at this point. She could only sigh inwardly. However, at the same time, she felt a sense of relief, as if a burden had been lifted off her shoulder.

"You are not the real Sofia Da, no, you are not the former Sofia," Lucas said. He was still trying to be polite right now. "I suppose you have guessed what's happening right now."

Sofia bit her lip, her eyes downcast as she didn't dare to meet Lucas's eyes directly. She felt guilty. "I am sorry, Sir."

"I will leave immediately. And about that money," Sofia stopped. She squeezed her hands together. "Please forgive my impudence, Sir. I dare to ask a favor not to tell my parents about this. I will try to pay that money back."

"No need," Lucas said curtly.

"But--" Sofia hesitated, but she was cut off by Lucas.

"There was no need. I hope that this will be the last interaction between us or your family." Lucas still didn't forget that it was also because of the Dawsons that he got to meet the little Savannah.

He considered that money he paid to those thugs as a gift so that he can cleanly sever any ties with them. He didn't want to be tangled with people that had caused Savannah to be traumatized. Who knew if it would affect Savannah in a way? The less contact she had around her relating to the Dawsons, the better. It included getting rid of this Sofia in front of her.

"Alright. Thank you very much for your generosity, Sir." Sofia said with a voice full of gratitude.

She only understood the reason and the whole story when her mother told her. Just like her mother, she felt conflicted and guilty, yet she still went ahead and did it. She was wrong to take advantage of others like this.

She had met Savannah a few times. She knew that she didn't have any memory of the past. However, it was for the best. Her presence wouldn't be a good thing for her. Whether Savannah remembered or not, Sofia also didn't know to face her.

Lucas could see that this girl had no real feelings toward him. In his first impression of her, it seemed that her personality was somehow forced.

After he met Savannah again, Lucas had been pondering a lot. He learned, bit by bit how to understand others. He had tried to put himself in others' position to get more understanding of them. Perhaps, this Sofia was no different.

He wouldn't ask further about how she obtained the name Sofia. Her lies were unacceptable, but they did help him to glean the truth of the matter. It wasn't important anymore.

"The truth is--" Sofia seemed to hesitate, but she finally just gritted her teeth and continue. "Dad has been suffering from mental illness for a long time. Mom told me that it was after he got into an accident his situation became worse. He often hallucinated about things... like having a child. But, Mom is infertile."

"I was also adopted and given that name." Sofia lowered her eyes. But she could somehow steal a glance of Lucas's indifferent face. Nothing changed in his expression.

She felt a little bit disappointed. Yet, it was to be expected.

"If there's nothing more. I will take my leave, Sir." Sofia said. She didn't hesitate to sign the resignation paper. After that, she excused herself and left the room. The entire time, Lucas was silent as if he didn't notice that there was another person in the room.

That was until Sofia closed the door that Lucas glanced at her disappearing figure. He didn't feel anything, or perhaps he did feel some bitterness and a little emptiness.

He could have them to got jail for deceiving him, but if Savannah knew that, what she would think of it? No, Lucas shook his head. Today, it would be best that the ties between their past be completely severed.

Savannah had done it, why couldn't he?

It wouldn't be so bad to start for a new beginning. He had so much to make up for his mistakes...

Lucas sat silently in his room. His two hands cupped his face. Gradually, the figure of that woman in brown hair surfaced in his mind, overlapping the blurry blonde one until the latter completely eclipsed by the former.

He could forget about the past, but he couldn't do the same about his wrongdoings.

Sorry for the late update guys. I have been in stress lately and couldn't bring myself to write.

I hope that this author will be accepted in English major in the uni she wants. Aameen.
I am so nervous rn.
Thanks guys :((