Chapter 39

Mr. Ford was slightly startled as Andrew informed him that Mr. Hernandez was looking for him. He checked himself and make sure that his clothes was neat enough without any slight wrinkles, then all of his documents that had already been finished for today.

Looking around the office, Mr. Ford cautiously entered the man's office and put on a natural expression.

Lucas hadn't paid the man the slightest attention the moment he entered the office until now, yet Mr. Ford just put on a natural look and didn't seem to be impatient. He waited for Lucas' next order.

"Sit." Lucas finally looked up from his laptop and his gaze landed at the middle-aged man who was standing in front of him.

Mr. Ford hurriedly complied with his boss' order and sat down in the opposite of him. After a few moment, he asked Lucas. "What do you need me for, Sir?"

Lucas put on a pondering look, he unhurriedly looked back at Mr. Ford and said, "How's the new employees recruitment has been going?"

Mr. Ford was surprised that Lucas was asking about it. He was greatly relieved that this intimidating boss of his wasn't calling him here to be scolded.

"It all went alright, Sir. I had picked several suitable candidates to work for our company. If they are really serious about taking this job, they could really start next week. We will inform them about that tomorrow." Mr. Ford explained.

Lucas put his hand on his chin. "Can I see the candidates that you had picked?"

"Of course, Sir." Mr. Ford immediately put the the document that he had been subconsiously brought along with him. After all, he was in hurry the finish the employee recruitment as soon as possible.

Lucas opened the file one by one, he was going through them only to find a certain name. To be honest, if Sofia really hadn't been listed as the candidate, he wouldn't even change that fact. He would only keep people if they had the skills, even of it was his own relative.

On the other hand, he would help her into finding another job instead. As for meeting her, it could be done by simply visiting her home.

Lucas checked the files attentively. His hand suddenly stopped flipping and his eyes landed at the certain name and the file description. He looked at the foto and it was the same features of just as he remembered...

However, as he looked at this photo, there was a slight frown on his forehead. Mr. Ford who had quite the sharp eye immediately noticed this.

"Sir, I find that this candidate is quite talented, so If she become the employee, maybe she'll be the diligent one... " Mr. Ford started explaining, but he then stopped himself a he saw that Lucas was staring at him.

Lucas calmly said at Mr. Ford, "I am just reading her description. Don't worry, there isn't anything wrong with her. If you want to pick her, I have no disagreement."

Mr. Ford just nodded. He watched as Lucas continued to flip through all the files and at some point stopped to read the other candidate's description. Lucas made it so that Mr. Ford wouldn't have any ideas about his real objective.

Lucas handed the documents back at Mr. Ford after he finished. Just then, the knock on the door attracted their attention.

"Come in." Lucas said casually.

However, as the door being pulled open and revealed the familiar figure that had come back to work some weeks ago, Lucas's calmness cracked slightly at the instant.

Savannah glanced at Mr. Ford, then directed her attention towards Lucas, who was also staring at her. They didn't say anything for a moment, making the atmosphere slightly tense.

Mr. Ford watched the sight before him uncomfortably. He badly wanted to extricate himself from this awkward atmosphere, but Lucas hadn't told him to get out yet.

"This is the file that Mr. Allan sent this morning, Sir." Savannah said. Lucas didn't answer. He was staring at Savannah in with a complicated gaze.

While Savannah just calmly stood there, seemingly unaffected by the atmosphere, Lucas finally shifted his sight at Mr. Ford. With just one look, Mr. Ford immediately understood what Lucas meant.

Not wasting anymore time, Mr. Ford was more than happy to finally be able to get out from that room. His boss' mood suddenly became strange and he was afraid that he would be the one receiving the effect of his bad mood.

Lucas let out a sigh of regret. The woman in front of him went back to her first when she had just entered as an employee in this company. The same one who acted professionally. She was still a good worker, yet at the same time he felt that there was a thick layer of impenetrable mist between the two.

It was as if they had became strangers to each other.

He felt slightly bitter, yet he couldn't really brought himself to face her. At least before he really sorted his feelings, from the truth and falsehood. He also wondered what truly existed inside his heart.

"Alright. You can put it on the table. I will check it later." Lucas said, his gaze still hadn't moved from her face at all. In the end, when he finally snapped out of it, he was slightly embarrassed that he was caught staring at her too intensely.

"Alright then, Sir. If there's nothing else, then I will excuse myself." Savannah said calmly, completely unfazed by his staring.

Lucas was silent, the he just nodded. Lucas had averted his eyes away, yet as the figure of that woman was retreating away, he could do nothing. He could only just watch.

Sighing softly, Lucas suddenly felt tired. Not physically, but mentally. As for the cause, he didn't even sure of it himself. Maybe, he was tired of the past, or it could also be the present. Even more, he also dreaded the future.